View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Nice 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Nice
Our thoughts for Nice and those affected. This horrible tradgy.

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Nice
This is so sad!
My heart and prayers are with the families of the victims!

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Once more I was shocked! My prayers go out to the French people, and to all of Europe. I pray that such violence will not reach the U.K. The terrorists want us to fear, and stop our daily life. We must continue our daily life, but this time with care and with a watchful eye. We can not give in to their threats.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail

We've lived with this kind of thing for generations Lu. When I was in the Navy, we were not allowed to wear our uniforms ashore for fear of being killed by the IRA. The bus I was waiting for to return to base was blown up on the M40 motorway. They exploded bombs all over the country. These new terrorists suffer from an ignorance of history. They think seeking some kind of revenge will have an effect. We'll just roll with it and carry on as usual. The only good thing to say about the IRA is that they only blew themselves up accidentally. All those years of intelligence work have been transfered to the recent problem. Which is why the security services make it known from time to time that they have prevented so many attacks per year. Once in a while one will get through. Like John Wayne said in the Shootist, you can't account for the one who sneaks up and shoots you in the back.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:04 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Northern Ireland proves anything it is there is no progress towards peace where revenge is part of that plan. The Protestants and Catholics were both trying to come out on top. I name these denominations not as religions but as communities.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Same play, different actors. Nothing changes.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:43 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Same play, different actors. Nothing changes.

In Puerto Rico we say: Same dog, different collar.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog makes a valid point. While these recent atrocities leave us sickened at the awful things people can do in the name of whatever they believe in, you don't have to look too far into our own history to see persecution of Jews, Nonconformist and Roman Catholics to name only the first three groups from among our own that come to mind. Then look at the dark side of colonial Britain. People attack that which they don't understand, and that which doesn't match with their world view. What is the answer? I have my own, but I doubt whether it would work for, or even be acceptable to, everybody. We must all look within ourselves, and find our answers, for I am sure we each have one. I am equally certain that in saying this on this forum, I am probably preaching to the converted.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail

I no longer believe that there are any answers. It is the human condition. People apparently believe that artificial global warming is harming the planet. How arrogant. Gaia managed quite well without us for millennia. She will go on doing so when we are gone until Sol dies. I fear that by then though, we may have infected other planets.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:32 pm
Profile E-mail

I agree with you on the global warming score. There are beautifully laid out field enclosures on Dartmoor in areas which are completely unfarmable now. Climate change caused that some thousands of years ago. Everywhere you look, there are changes to the landscape brought about by climate alterations up or down which happened because they happened. Mankind's influence on these changes is at best merely marginal.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail