View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:57 pm

what causes fundamentalism? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post what causes fundamentalism?
What causes fundamentalism?
Any thoughts?

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: what causes fundamentalism?
I have thought about that sometimes. I feel that it is insecurity; fear of change.

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Ignorance.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:43 am
Profile E-mail

When scared, when we don't understand we look for someone to blame. We see it everyday immigration, the disabled, and the unemployed are blamed by the political far-right for all our ills.

We do the same with religion, we assemble within a group and we are told this book holds only truth, and all others are false and only true salvation can be obtained from this religion. We fear perhaps not knowing what may lie beyond the death of our bodies that we then invest so much time in our afterlife we forget about our life and it becomes preparation. Then our group proclaims that all those who do not obey our groups thoughts and way of life is condemned and we must convert and slowly that mantra breeds dislike which breeds hatred which breeds wars of religion.

A fundamentalist to me is someone who has become so accustomed to hate that they cannot understand those who do not and they must spread it as much as they can. But then again there is also some element of ignorance involved as well and justification for acts we know are cruel or even evil is easy if you have convinced yourself that you will be rewarded for such actions after life.

Ultimately there are those of us who seek power, be it the power of superiority or in thinking we are better than someone else or believing a group of people are inferior to us. That when we preach that message that some will listen and other follow us and others will act upon the hate being preached, to the fundamentalist what power to have, the ultimate power to influence someone to throw their life away needlessly and have them believe differently. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think there could be many more causes and reasons but there the ones that come to mind.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:35 pm
Profile E-mail

I think it's a combination of things.

Fundamentalists that I know truly believe in what they "believe in".
They genuinely feel that it is the "best" of whatever the issue/topic is.
And that it is "the" best for everyone, not just them.

They tend to have very limited life experiences.
No contact with people of other faiths, or cultures, or races, ethnicities, social class, etc.

Because there is lack of contact with a diverse group of humans, the concept and practice of:
learning, trying to understand, tolerating, respecting, or simply just "putting up with" doesn't develop.

Lack of contact with diverse others also causes fear in many.

A fundamentalist Christian really believes that he/she is saved in a certain way (in one specific set of beliefs), and wants you to be saved too, by imposing his/her belief system on you.
They do believe that if you do not convert, you will go to hell when you die.

Fundamentalist Muslims believe in forcing others to convert because their way is the only way, and if you do not convert, they are justified in eliminating you, and if they cannot convert you, but can eliminate you, and they make the "ultimate sacrifice", then they go to heaven.

Here in the US you can walk away from the "fire and brimstone" corner preachers who want to convert us all by fear. They give us Christians a bad name.
They often turn people off, instead of attracting them.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:52 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

True

It is usually some book that is credited as being the word of God. They refuse to see any criticism of the book. They insist on just one way of thinking and that everyone else should conform. There are usually rules to repress women, gay people and people of any other viewpoint. They usually, but not always, attend a body of worship that tells them what to think and they defend this. If they achieve there way then more things have to be achieved in order to perfect their fundamentalism.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail

They are not radicals in the true sense of the word. Radicals are not conservative. They are zealots. Adherents of the true faith. And a complete nuisance.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail

I think people turn to fundamentalism as they are fearful of the unknown and alleged threats to their way of life. If someone announces they are going to defend a particular way of life, proclaim it as the only true way and provide evidence, albeit on many occasions the wrong evidence, to fan the flames of fear, many will flock to the fundamentalist calls.

I think the appeal of those at the very top of the fundamentalist ladder though is power and greed. Some may feel they are carrying out the word of their God or defending their people but for some the chance of power and influence and benefitting from these are the main reasons.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail

mmm true enough at the top of the Fundamentalist (im not going to say ladder) but pyramid are those who want power and influence but then again what started them on that path, lets take say Hitler. Hitler was brought up in an abusive household by all known accounts and always held a belief that other would hold him back.

Of course he also held deeply anti semitic views, but early on before being concerned with politics and power he was an aspiring painter, he then become a solider then after the first world war was sent to investigate certain political factions, the party that would become the Nazi party. He was there simply to report back on it being a threat and on the potential of it being a communist front.

Of course during this time his beliefs and anti-semitism had only grown but still he had not actively pursued power of any kind, accounts of the time reflect on him as being quite and unusual. Now when he started speaking, and people where drawn to him, and his influence grew and grew that is when the man became consumed with power with being the great saviour and leader of the German People.

Did he really believe that? Probably. But my point is while those at the top of the pyramid certainly once being there tend to be consumed not by the ideals or beliefs but by power and influence they do not necessarily start out that way, what they do however tend to have in common is the overriding belief that their way is the only way and that if others only thought as they did the world would be as it should.

However there are lots of people out there with that view, the majority do not become like Hitler, it when people lie this get a taste of power or influence they become enslaved to it corrupted by it. How many of us have known a superior in a working role who regardless of their personality had a belief all you staff where the problem they where the best?

Power has proven time and time again to be a human weakness, its why we have had to invent checks and balances for political power (even then those with power will try hard to circumvent this). Power is not inherently good or evil it can be used for either ends, Mankind on the other hand is inherently flawed (it's our flaws that define us and make us, us) and power in the hands of some is a recipe for disaster.

Charisma, and a way to be able to speak to people that resonates can be a bad thing it can also be a good thing, Gandhi, MLK, Dalai Lama and others far from being perfect have been an example of the opposite. Lots of people want to be inspired and they wish to follow someone who seems to have a plan and has answers.

From a religious perspective, religion is full of fundamentalists as is politics and it is full of people who will proclaim that this is the only true way to salvation for your soul. What reflection does that have on us as race that in todays world there are still groups of people willing to do unspeakable things to their fellow man because they have been convinced the salvation of their soul lies in an act we instinctively know to be wrong, the justification being you don't think like I do therefore you are less than me.

To use a quote from the Star Wars films "evil is a point of view" the phrase spoken by Darth Sidious as turns Anakin Skywalker to the darkside, he plays on the mans fears, fear of loosing his family and convinces him their safety will only come from joining him and destroying another Religion, including innocent children and he does this.

Why this is fiction, it represents a good picture of the fundamentalist pyramid Sidious at the top, concerned with power and controlling everything. Vader beneath him who cares nothing for the galaxy really but wants salvation at any cost and is convinced this will come from the end of the Jedi and the Sidious as Emperor. Now this changes as the films go on, but its this part of the story that illustrates the point.

Fear, the unknown and this need to know that this isn't the only go we get all things that can cause fundamentalism, but always at the top will be some charismatic leader who had the same questions and firmly believes the answers they have are the one true result, they then start preaching and find they have influence and they like it as the bend others to their will, a movement forms and those at the top have power and it soon those beliefs seem less important than the need to have power the belief is an excuse, its becomes about their will and their power.

At times the human race is very self absorbed, religion for example if gifted to the masses on the basis of salvation of the self, the message of Christ while positive and what must have been considered so extreme by the times standards and very liberal, was a religion for everyone but it makes special mention of the downtrodden and the poor and the sick and infirm. That something better awaited them, a hope and that has been exploited by the powerful countless times.

We are very self absorbed full of our own importance and we can do a great many evil things and we have, humanity however does have a redeeming quality we also are capable of the opposite its just in todays world we have confused things so much with religion and market forces and other things that are all are own invention.

I suppose the only real answer to the question is us, we cause fundamentalism I don't see any other animal on the planet being a fundamentalist meaning it was something of our own creation meaning we alone have the answer whether we ever really try hard enough to look for it is another question all together.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Very good ideas, Rev Rob. The issue is "us" the humans.
We do have an inflated sense of sense, therefore, since "I" - "Mine" are the best, that must mean that what I/we think is the best.
Hmmm

But. many animals are hierarchical, also.
My dogs are.
The 3 boys always have some sort of issue going on.
And the 2 girls have power struggles too.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail