View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Dreams 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Dreams
Yep, that was me 29 years ago. I was signalling the driver to move the train forward along the platform because passengers wanted to get off the rear cars which were overhanging. Corrour was never built for passengers, it was only a passing loop so the platform was originally just for railway personnel. The station had no road access and is in the middle of Rannoch moor. In later years it became very popular with hikers. There is a road now and the signalmans small cottage has become a fairly large hotel. The two girls jumping aboard behind me while I'm moving the train were Jimmy's daughters heading into Fort William for the day. The mail bag handover to Jimmy's wife, the local postie, was take two as the camera crew missed it the first time. One of my favourite memories of working the line were the occasions of off loading twenty or so mail bags at Arrochar off the sleepers from London in winter. Snow everywhere, just the weak station lights and the glow of the carriage lights to see by and the steam escaping from the train heating system drifting into the air. The kind of scene you get on a Christmas card. Happy days. Jimmy once set fire to his kitchen. He phoned the Area Manager in Fort William just to let him know, not expecting anything could be done. The Area Manager asked the fire Brigade to come to Fort William station. By the time they arrived he had got the spare driver and loco to shunt a flat car into the loading dock. The fire engine drove straight on and was strapped down. He then authorised the driver to run non stop, having cleared the line, to Corrour. They arrived just as Jimmy had put the fire out on his own. I always thought it an excellent example of how railwaymen could fix almost anything when allowed to use their initiative and were not constrained by senior management. Those days are gone now. The trains are Diesel Multiple Units (DMU's) designed for suburban commuter lines. The romance, atmosphere and comfort are just memories.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:15 am
Profile E-mail

Post What is your DREAM JOB?
If you could have the coolest job in the world, what would that be for you?

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:07 am
Profile E-mail

Struggling to think now being a bit disheartened by life in general. Being a Nuclear Submariner was cool. Not many people get to do the kind of things I got up to then. Like listening to whales sing, getting depth charged by the Russians for spying on Archangel, sitting on the bilge pump in the bottom of the engine room doing injustice to Kris Kristoffersons early repertoire (no one could hear me down there). I once thought I would like to have been an Indiana Jones type history teacher. My daughter has bets with the kids about at what point in a conversation I will mention the Romans. But I am retired now so, like The Dude, I see my job as Relaxing for all you busy sinners out there.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 am
Profile E-mail

LOL! :lol: :grin: I think you already did have the coolest job! Jobs, to be exact! The Nuclear Submariner and working for the trains!
Got so see LOTS of the world and of the submerged world of the sea!
How cool!
I'm sure you have lots of stories to tell!!

Zen Dog wrote:
Struggling to think now being a bit disheartened by life in general. Being a Nuclear Submariner was cool. Not many people get to do the kind of things I got up to then. Like listening to whales sing, getting depth charged by the Russians for spying on Archangel, sitting on the bilge pump in the bottom of the engine room doing injustice to Kris Kristoffersons early repertoire (no one could hear me down there). I once thought I would like to have been an Indiana Jones type history teacher. My daughter has bets with the kids about at what point in a conversation I will mention the Romans. But I am retired now so, like The Dude, I see my job as Relaxing for all you busy sinners out there.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:14 am
Profile E-mail

Never saw the world. 1 year training, 3 years worth of 'sneakies'. 2 years refit crew. It's why I left. And half the lies I tell aren't even true.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:08 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Never saw the world. 1 year training, 3 years worth of 'sneakies'. 2 years refit crew. It's why I left. And half the lies I tell aren't even true.

LOL!! Too bad you didn't get to travel around on the bottom of the ocean!

And, what are "sneakies"?

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Sneakies are patrols where you sneak around the North Atlantic and environs, in fact all the way up round Novaya Zemla looking for Russian submarines and such. We used to film their naval exercises. I finished up as a throttle jockey (Propulsion Panel Operator).We had headphones to listen for cavitation but they picked up lots of other interesting sounds too. Like for instance a conversation on the underwater telephone between our captain and the captain of HMCS Iroquois. My last boat was HMS Conqueror. The Propulsion Panel I operated is now in a museum. That is spooky.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Sneakies are patrols where you sneak around the North Atlantic and environs, in fact all the way up round Novaya Zemla looking for Russian submarines and such. We used to film their naval exercises. I finished up as a throttle jockey (Propulsion Panel Operator).We had headphones to listen for cavitation but they picked up lots of other interesting sounds too. Like for instance a conversation on the underwater telephone between our captain and the captain of HMCS Iroquois. My last boat was HMS Conqueror.

The Propulsion Panel I operated is now in a museum. That is spooky.

It's funny when we actually think about how we are now "old"! Isn't it???
I cannot get used to it.
Something in my mind thinks it is still young.
But I have grandkids, I am fat -which I was not when young- I have horrible arthritis and all sorts of other things.
At least something important you did is in a museum!
Nothing I've done is anywhere important!

Mon May 02, 2016 10:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Often people say they have done nothing they look for grande gestures and not at their day to day contributions which is more meaningful

Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 am
Profile E-mail

Very true. Some times we are so busy looking up at the clouds we forget to look down to see where our feet are.

Wed May 04, 2016 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next