View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:50 am

Painful 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Painful
Just thought I would share that I managed to break my ankle or to get technical I have suffered a avulsion fracture in my ankle. I did this while at my Aikido session Friday evening, I was exhausted went to go into a break fall mixed my foot work up and rolled on my right ankle. After The Sensei's provided first aid Ice pack elevation and then wrapped my ankle up.

I found I was able to put some weight on it and limp walk, I went to A&E Saturday had an X-ray and the Doctor showed me this tiny, tiny fracture Luckily for me such a fracture is treated like a sprain so I can avoid a cast, and also not miss work which is also good. So at the moment its just a routine of Burofen ICE and elevation.

Not fun though and I'm very mad at myself if I'm honest anyway I'm told Im looking at 6-8 weeks of limping along and swelling etc. So how was everyone else weekend not as painful as mine I hope

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Painful
Hi Rev Rob,

Good to hear from you!
But I am sorry you broke your ankle!
Yuck!

Can they give you one of those plastic boots that you can put on and take off?
They do that here in the US.

Can you take calcium tablets? It'll help you heal faster!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Also!
I'm curious!
Did you make it to the Unitarian Church??
If so,
How was it?

Let us know!!

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:49 pm
Profile E-mail

What happened to your opponent?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Firstly no, no plastic boot, Just ICE elevation, pain relief, Compression bandage/Ankle support when walking for longer periods (at work) and to wear footwear that offers decent ankle support boots in my case. I was told a fracture of this size is treated more like a sprain with a longer recovery time so thats that. As for the Unitarian Church yes I did, and everyone was very nice open minded to discussion and talk very good, but with many things I always say I will see how it goes but so far very good .

As for calcium tablets hadn't really thought of that, the break is so tiny mind you I'm just taking each day as it comes if I'm honest.

Ah Zen Aikido as you may or may not know isnt really about competition like Judo despite having origins with Judo, and like in many dojo's when training there is more a spirit of co-operation when doing techniques to each other. As much as it would sound very macho that you should see the other guy I can't. In reality I was being thrown in a technique called a Irriminage which like a lot of aikido is all about using your opponents weight against them.

As I was going into my break fall I due to being exhausted (I was being graded at the time) put to much weight on my right leg and my ankles are prone to rolling as well I simply ended up putting all my weight on my ankle which then rolled to the inside of my leg as you can imagine thats quite painful. (On the plus side im told I fell into a lovely break fall position so there is something there I suppose)

My opponent was ironically very concerned they had caused the injury when it was simply my body giving out on me which happens especially as Aikido is new to me and Im not a peak physical shape currently (hence the Aikido).

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Try the calcium!
It'll shorten that "longer recovery time"!
Trust me!

My son has broken so many things in his lifetime!
So I do know from personal experience that it does work!

Our doctors told us that it would not help speed things up.
I gave him calcium always, anyway, in spite of the all-mighty doctors knowing!

And he'd recover weeks faster than the doctors expected!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to hear this Rev Rob. Akido is a philosophy as well as Martial Art. I like it because one does not have to harm anyone to succeed. I used to do it in my 20s. No good now but I have fond memories of it. I hope you recover soon.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 pm
Profile E-mail

Very Interesting Pete I did not know that, and your spot on it very much is a philosophy as well as a Martial Art. Its part of what drew me to it and I have an interest in Japan and its history. Aikido has many styles the one I practise is called Shin Gi Tai and is quite physical but no where near the hardest style of Aikido we also look at KI a little but do not focus on KI like those who practise KI Aikido.

For me it has been a great way to start loosing weight, and there is nothing quite like taking a High roll or high break fall and being safe. Sadly this past Friday was a time where my body was unwilling to co-operate with my spirit, but Im looking forward to getting back at it. For now the ankle is responding well to the Ice and elevation and luckily it means I havent had to take any time off which was a worry of mine.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am not sure what type of Aikido it was but I feel in love with it mostly because it was totally none aggressive. In fact aggression would make you less efficient in doing using it. The club I went to is in Gloucester. I cannot do the roles anymore but I do remember some of the moves. I was considered quick at the time. I have been attacked a number of times and aikido has always been helpful as they found it very difficult to get hold of me and I could dodge most attempts. Since my back has gone I do not find it so easy anymore. I do miss those days.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail

i miss studying it also.i worked at a state prison,and a small amount of it was part of our training.if you wanted any more training,you had to pay for it yourself.most people wouldn't.

i was very fortunate to find someone who would work with me one on one.couldn't tell you what school.but i did enjoy it,along with aki jitsu.saddly,i couldn't afford the lessons anymore and had to give them up.every once in a while,i have had people get stupid and try to do something behind my back.i still remember some things,and react accordingly.

wishing you a quick recovery.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail YIM