View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Love is ... 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Love is ...
I wish my son would listen to this type of advice.
He is not nice to his wife of his son and it breaks my heart!

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Not sure what to say without seeming presumptuous. I have 4 kids. None of them speak to each other.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Not sure what to say without seeming presumptuous. I have 4 kids. None of them speak to each other.

There is nothing you can say that will change it.
My mother keeps telling me that with time he might change.
But I think he is bitter and that is why he is mean.

If your kiddos do not all talk to each other, you most likely have to do a lot of time juggling to be able to see them separately!
Do they all have children? Do you get to see your grandkids?

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail

In 1977, I inadvertently married some one with a family history of autism and its variants. I was in the navy, it was the 70's, we were practically strangers. My eldest came with the marriage. He has a sister who was in care. My biological eldest has problems with sensitivity and my youngest daughter didn't want her at my grandsons funeral so I have not spoken to her since. My ex, my eldest and youngest sons all have aspergers. My youngest daughter is the only one with children and they are all in my house. I'd like to say we put the fun in dysfunctional but it is not even that. Going to France is the closest I can get to running away to join the Foreign Legion.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
In 1977, I inadvertently married some one with a family history of autism and its variants. I was in the navy, it was the 70's, we were practically strangers. My eldest came with the marriage. He has a sister who was in care. My biological eldest has problems with sensitivity and my youngest daughter didn't want her at my grandsons funeral so I have not spoken to her since. My ex, my eldest and youngest sons all have aspergers. My youngest daughter is the only one with children and they are all in my house. I'd like to say we put the fun in dysfunctional but it is not even that. Going to France is the closest I can get to running away to join the Foreign Legion.

Wow!
So you've had your hands full!
My brother's first wife has Aspergers, and so does his oldest son (which is the only child he had with her).

In the past people did not know about Aspergers. Or even much about autism, unless it was severe.
When my brother was dating Lizzy, she was antisocial and odd. My mother thought she had bad manners.

So I take it your youngest children did not inherit the condition?
Nor her children?

I can see why being stranded in France has been a vacation. It's hard to go from being alone, to having young kids back in the house. It gets very lively very quickly!!

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Yep, and on top of that they are still grieving. It is not like some one without a frame of reference would understand. Their view of the world has been altered. Hardly surprising considering kids generally don't comprehend death as a reality. Kristian was their big fun brother. Their hero.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Yep, and on top of that they are still grieving. It is not like some one without a frame of reference would understand. Their view of the world has been altered. Hardly surprising considering kids generally don't comprehend death as a reality. Kristian was their big fun brother. Their hero.

How old are the younger ones?

You and your daughter are dealing very well with this severe trauma!
I hope you have been able to be there for each other!!

And, like you said, it has to be really weird to deal with such a
serious issue at such a young age.
And even more difficult is that he was their big brother!
That is always a special place in the family!

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:25 pm
Profile E-mail

# 11 (of The 23 Things that Love is...)

11- LOVE IS...
being willing to invest the time necessary to discuss, examine, and understand the relational problems you face,
staying on task until the problem is removed or you have agreed upon a strategy of response.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:56 pm
Profile E-mail

New International Version 1 Corinthians

1 If I speak in the languages of men or of angels, but do not have love,
I am only ... a clanging cymbal. [useless noise]

2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love,
I am nothing.

3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love,
I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth [those things that are good].

7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. {this is my favorite verse}

8 Love never fails.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease;
where there are tongues, they will be stilled;
where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, [while we are here in this physical plane]

10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. [when we are beyond this physical plane, we will perceive
things differently]

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror [we perceive only part of reality];
then [in the time of completeness] we shall see face to face [we shall have access to knowledge we cannot see now].
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain:

faith, hope and love.

But the greatest of these is love.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Here in the states I have heard people say that love is a decision, one "decides" to love someone else.

I do not know if it is true, or partially true ...

Paulo Coelho, the writer says:

Love is not a habit, a commitment or a debt.
Love is not what we hear in romantic songs or see in movies.
Love simply is.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next