View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Bedroom Tax: Plea for advice. 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Bedroom Tax: Plea for advice.
I think the UK shares that problem. Most are rich, ex public school boys who have never had to wonder where the next meal comes from.

Just thought I would mention "public schools" are private schools where you only get in if you have lots of money to pay them. So they are not very public.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:31 pm
Profile E-mail

The Bedroom Tax was brought into fruition by a millionaire, Lord Freud, who lives in a mansion - number of bedrooms = 8. When it was first introduced I read a story about a 53 year old grandmother who lived in a three bedroom house after the last of her children had left home had to pay Bedroom Tax, which she could not afford. The poor woman killed herself. Sadly there are many other stories of a similar nature. The Bedroom Tax applies to those who either live in council or social housing - it doesn't apply to those who live in private housing. So, in my opinion the Bedroom Tax is aimed at those who are either low paid, unemployed or disabled. The most vulnerable of so called society - and the PM, David Cameron, claims to be a Christian ! He really needs better spin doctors and script writers ! Jesus wanted those who were less fortunate to be looked after, not driven to the edge of despair - and worse, to feel there is no other way out than to take their own lives. This Conservative government have blood on their hands, and in my opinion they are guilty of murder.

My daughter moved out to live with her mother which came as a surprise at the time, but I have pieced together, with my wife, how this came about. But I am digressing ! She will have a problem if she wants to rent because of her age, 21, so unless she gets a job which pays mega bucks she will be living with her mother for a long time to come ! Up until age 35 only part of your rent is paid - if I am wrong please let me know. The area where my wife and I live is what one would term 'rough' - but strange as it may sound we love it ! It is a two bedroomed bungalow which I got on health grounds. I don't think my daughter liked it here, plus her mother would be saying things to stir up the pot and cause trouble between us. I just wish my daughter would have spoke to me about her wanting to move out, but again I am digressing.

The UK is the sixth richest country in the world, so austerity measures are not needed, but I am of the opinion that it is really a culling of the working classes, the unemployed and disabled. The Queen asked for a heating grant but was turned down - she has around £1.6 in her bank account ! MP's have been caught fiddling their expenses but not much seems to happen to them. Big corporations avoid paying their taxes amounting to many, many millions - £120 billion in fact. There really is no shortage of money but its diverted to Cameron's millionaire chums.

http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:57 am
Profile E-mail

I live in an housing association house and no one has asked me to pay a bedroom tax. My grandson lived in the spare room. He killed himself because I was not here to stop him. Does that make me a murderer?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

No Way Zen. If you knew what was happening I am sure you would tried to stop it happening, but you never got that chance or foreknowledge . Life just gives us a sh1t deal sometimes for both you and your son. Do not blame yourself. Life can be so unfair and cruel and no one is responsible. Bad things do happen to good people. Its one of the reasons I say if there is a god then I have some choice words for them..

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I live in an housing association house and no one has asked me to pay a bedroom tax. My grandson lived in the spare room. He killed himself because I was not here to stop him. Does that make me a murderer?

Oh God no, sweetie!!!
Your grandson was in a very dark place! Due to something very painful that happened to him!
Unfortunately, when people hurt that badly they do not see clearly and it is no one's fault!!
It is a horrible tragedy! But not your fault or anyone elses!!!

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Regarding committing suicide, my bestfriend Mary and I talk about this.
She is a college professor that is sometimes employed, sometimes underemployed.
She does make little enough most of the time that she can get "food stamps" (money for food) and state based health care.
So she could be worse off, but she lives an extremely modest life. She's found work she can do from home, marking standardized tests for school students.

Her father died of neglect, when she was younger, because he got sick and could not work, and lost his health insurance. He died from not being able to have health care, so he could actually get better, so he could work!

She and I talk about suicide often, as a possible step we might have to take in the future, when we are old, and cannot work, and the state has not money to help out old people.
We have money taken out of our paychecks every month that is supposed to be saved for us, by the government, so that when we are old, that money will be paid back to us.
Well, the system does not work anymore.
So we, two educated women, who have both worked for university systems for years and years and years, actually ponder the possible need for this step as a solution when we are old.
=(

sweetseeker wrote:
The Bedroom Tax was brought into fruition by a millionaire, Lord Freud, who lives in a mansion - number of bedrooms = 8. When it was first introduced I read a story about a 53 year old grandmother who lived in a three bedroom house after the last of her children had left home had to pay Bedroom Tax, which she could not afford. The poor woman killed herself. Sadly there are many other stories of a similar nature. The Bedroom Tax applies to those who either live in council or social housing - it doesn't apply to those who live in private housing. So, in my opinion the Bedroom Tax is aimed at those who are either low paid, unemployed or disabled. The most vulnerable of so called society - and the PM, David Cameron, claims to be a Christian ! He really needs better spin doctors and script writers ! Jesus wanted those who were less fortunate to be looked after, not driven to the edge of despair - and worse, to feel there is no other way out than to take their own lives. This Conservative government have blood on their hands, and in my opinion they are guilty of murder.

My daughter moved out to live with her mother which came as a surprise at the time, but I have pieced together, with my wife, how this came about. But I am digressing ! She will have a problem if she wants to rent because of her age, 21, so unless she gets a job which pays mega bucks she will be living with her mother for a long time to come ! Up until age 35 only part of your rent is paid - if I am wrong please let me know. The area where my wife and I live is what one would term 'rough' - but strange as it may sound we love it ! It is a two bedroomed bungalow which I got on health grounds. I don't think my daughter liked it here, plus her mother would be saying things to stir up the pot and cause trouble between us. I just wish my daughter would have spoke to me about her wanting to move out, but again I am digressing.

The UK is the sixth richest country in the world, so austerity measures are not needed, but I am of the opinion that it is really a culling of the working classes, the unemployed and disabled. The Queen asked for a heating grant but was turned down - she has around £1.6 in her bank account ! MP's have been caught fiddling their expenses but not much seems to happen to them. Big corporations avoid paying their taxes amounting to many, many millions - £120 billion in fact. There really is no shortage of money but its diverted to Cameron's millionaire chums.

http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail

I can't imagine living in such a rich country that cares so little for people. Our system isn't perfect but it exists. You'd be better off over here Lannah. You'd get a job no bother. There is a shortage of teachers on account of our education system is less than perfect too.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I can't imagine living in such a rich country that cares so little for people. Our system isn't perfect but it exists. You'd be better off over here Lannah. You'd get a job no bother. There is a shortage of teachers on account of our education system is less than perfect too.

I've thought about it.
Malcolm, my boyfriend, is English. Lives in Stowmarket.

I'm on a job search website that sends me info about the need for school teachers.
There are many positions for Teaching Assistants are for pre-school teachers (for kiddos 3-5 yrs old).

Mon May 02, 2016 10:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Just by way of absolutely nothing at all, it's ages since I've been to a wedding. :wink:

Wed May 04, 2016 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Me too.

Wed May 04, 2016 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next