View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Sometimes 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Sometimes
The UK has not had slavery in any of its constituent parts since the middle ages. The colonies were obliged to emancipate their slaves in 1833 and previously to that, slaves brought here were legally free, domestic servants etc. For the greater part of the 19th century, the Royal Navy carried out anti slavery patrols in the Atlantic, a large minority of the crews being black. Don't forget, Brazil didn't emancipate their slaves until the 1890's. The British Empire, unlike perhaps all others in history, was focused on trade. Imbalanced I grant you but trade not territory. With the exception maybe of the Antipodes, Australia being used as a prison.Canada was in essence founded by the Hudson Bay company and the catalyst for uniting India was the East India company. Africa was a rich resource for fueling the industrial revolution but instead of removing the inhabitants we employed them. And then gave them their countries back. Islands and places like Aden were resupply/fueling points. Or occupied to stop our enemies/competitors from occupying them. I'm not trying to make it sound all rosy, life was tough in these places anyhow but things started seriously going down hill when missionaries jumped on the band wagon. It was then that racism raised its ugly head where none had existed. And Lannah, was PR taken during the SpanAm war?

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile E-mail

It's a long way from unknown in this country for the wife-beating abusers to BE clergymen. You see it in the news several times every year, and occasionally ends when the wife does the abuser in.

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Happened to a friend of mine. Only, she was the abuser and he snapped. Got a minimum of 24 years.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
The UK has not had slavery in any of its constituent parts since the middle ages. The colonies were obliged to emancipate their slaves in 1833 and previously to that, slaves brought here were legally free, domestic servants etc. For the greater part of the 19th century, the Royal Navy carried out anti slavery patrols in the Atlantic, a large minority of the crews being black. Don't forget, Brazil didn't emancipate their slaves until the 1890's. The British Empire, unlike perhaps all others in history, was focused on trade. Imbalanced I grant you but trade not territory. With the exception maybe of the Antipodes, Australia being used as a prison.Canada was in essence founded by the Hudson Bay company and the catalyst for uniting India was the East India company. Africa was a rich resource for fueling the industrial revolution but instead of removing the inhabitants we employed them. And then gave them their countries back. Islands and places like Aden were resupply/fueling points. Or occupied to stop our enemies/competitors from occupying them. I'm not trying to make it sound all rosy, life was tough in these places anyhow but things started seriously going down hill when missionaries jumped on the band wagon. It was then that racism raised its ugly head where none had existed. And Lannah, was PR taken during the SpanAm war?

Yes, exactly. The Spanish-American War in 1898.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:54 pm
Profile E-mail

The first media led war from whence originated the first cocktail. Cuba Libra. Very popular in these parts at one time. Cuban rum, which on its own is foul, and Coca Cola. Do you know that just to collect the set, the US took the Philipines and Hawaii at the same time despite them being in a whole other ocean. Hawaii being a British protectorate is why the state flag has the Union Jack on it. Which is nice. Unfortunately, we were a bit busy at the time what with picking on some, very racist, Dutch farmers in South Africa and some very awkward Chinese in China. Society of Harmonious Fists indeed. Nothing harmonious about a black eye. And Churchill relinquished any formal interest with Hawaii in exchange for the loan you gave us in 1942ish. Which we only finished paying back about 15 years ago.Funny old world.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:18 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
The first media led war from whence originated the first cocktail. Cuba Libra. Very popular in these parts at one time. Cuban rum, which on its own is foul, and Coca Cola. Do you know that just to collect the set, the US took the Philipines and Hawaii at the same time despite them being in a whole other ocean. Hawaii being a British protectorate is why the state flag has the Union Jack on it. Which is nice. Unfortunately, we were a bit busy at the time what with picking on some, very racist, Dutch farmers in South Africa and some very awkward Chinese in China. Society of Harmonious Fists indeed. Nothing harmonious about a black eye. And Churchill relinquished any formal interest with Hawaii in exchange for the loan you gave us in 1942ish. Which we only finished paying back about 15 years ago.Funny old world.

They took Guam also, in 1898.
But Hawaii was taken in 1893. By 1898 it was already a state.

Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:24 pm
Profile E-mail

In the US 1,095 women die every year, from Domestic violence. At the hands of their man/ex-man.
That is three women a day.

Also, 700 women a year die of pregnancy related issues. The rate has doubled in the last 30 years.
That's almost 2 women a day.

Did I mention that we are in the 21st century ... ?

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:55 pm
Profile E-mail

I stand corrected. I'd forgotten about the sugar planters revolution. And Canada has a health service you know. It's only next door. Bit chilly in the winter perhaps.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I stand corrected. I'd forgotten about the sugar planters revolution. And Canada has a health service you know. It's only next door. Bit chilly in the winter perhaps.

Too chilly! You need to be born there to be able to stand it, and not know that other places in the globe have better weather!

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:53 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
Wow! I can see how they are a bit like the Nazis were. Complete ignorant horrors. Was that the UK? I know we have been involved in some terrible things in history. Slavery for one and invading any country with something the UK wanted for another.

With Manifest Destiny the people seen as inferior were not killed or incarcerated.
But they had their countries and a lot of their rights taken away.

The US believed that the entire American continent/s should be theirs.
And they worked hard to take it, like the song says: "from sea to shining sea".

Also, the US decided that Spain should not have any more colonies in the Americas, thus the Spanish-American war. The US took the Spanish colonies and appropriated them!!!

It was not OK for Spain to have them, but it was OK for the US to have them.

People who were not Anglo-Saxon were removed from their posts, because, since the theory of the times was that the Northern White races were superior, then it was "the White Man's burden" to rule over the tan and brown people.

So all of the educated people in professional and governmental positions in the newly acquired territories (by the US) were dismissed, simply because they were not White Americans from the USA.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next