View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
A possible Avenue? 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: A possible Avenue?
Well I wasn't going to join in anyway. But as I am now retired I may reconsider my position. On condition that I only work on Wednesdays between 12 and 1 and have an hour for lunch.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:36 am
Profile E-mail

Lannah Don't be silly you burst no one's bubble. I currently work for a charity (in a paid position) but know just how busy it can be the charity I work for focuses on Digital Inclusion in my day to day job I meet and work with such a wide range of people and I do a lot of work with Job Centres, Library Services and the local council.

I came back with saying leaving it be not because I'm no longer for it not by any means if everyone was to change their mind I would be all over it. But rather the reality was I was the only one really pushing the idea and given that I am also realistic and no matter how much I might have wanted to just look at the avenue it would not have been practical to do so on my own.

Simply put I said leave it be because since I posted the idea and we got it confirmed any such status would not effect the running of the is forum or the way in which the forum works it would all stay the same I had hoped many might want to just investigate this further with me. No one has really, and as you point out given the very limited active users we have and I simply didn't give up but decided I wasn't going to pursue this avenue until such a time as perhaps there are more who might want to investigate this further.

I love the forum, don't ever need to see it change but the ULC within the UK I would like to see grow and have some form of recognition (but thats also a goal not everyone may want to see) it's also a very complex thing as well saying I would like to see it isn't all that simple. For me the Forum is a great place to start and to learn and to meet fellow people and discuss. But after than that when we look at all the things going on in the world today with so much hate being preached that is when I see the ULC and I see the potential it could have on a lot more people not as Religion but as a place for all.

In a world so full of people from Politicians to others so full of the conviction of hate to the seemingly powerful comeback of racist views and extreme nationalistic perception the whole policy of Divide and Conquer. That all of this in 2016 is growing I see the ULC not as the Answer but a like other movements and ideas a place that says here we hope and work for a more united world a one which better understands all its people.

Yes conflicts will always be a part of us (its a part of our nature) yes there will always be those who believe in dogmas of intolerance and hatred, but I think the ULC could be a bigger part of the process of hope and understanding and it won't be an easy thing. But that is my reasoning behind my possible avenue and also my reasoning for saying to leave it be for the minute. You burst no one's bubble I can assure you and you have no need to apologise for it.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Well I wasn't going to join in anyway. But as I am now retired I may reconsider my position. On condition that I only work on Wednesdays between 12 and 1 and have an hour for lunch.

LOL! :lol: You are so silly!

If you work from 12-1, then you can have your lunch hour from 11-12am!!!

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:10 am
Profile E-mail

Rev Rob wrote:

I love the forum, don't ever need to see it change but the ULC within the UK I would like to see grow and have some form of recognition (but thats also a goal not everyone may want to see) it's also a very complex thing as well saying I would like to see it isn't all that simple. For me the Forum is a great place to start and to learn and to meet fellow people and discuss. But after than that when we look at all the things going on in the world today with so much hate being preached that is when I see the ULC and I see the potential it could have on a lot more people not as Religion but as a place for all.

Amen to that. As a Church even if we do not become a charity, there is nothing preventing a group of us becoming involved in supporting charities and campaigns. Through Skype meets or online discussion we could probably as a Church release statements on various issues. New Unity in London are quite active this way.

On seeing the Church grow and have some form of recognition, would some form of national convention be useful for members to gather and plan direction for the future or could this be achieved via the forum alone?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail

I think a National convention isn't a bad idea at all, however it would all depend how many of us would want to do that within this forum there would only be a handful of us. Simply because I think the way the idea the ULC is looked at over here is a bit of a joke many people I have met who have gotten ordained for the sake of it.

Where as a I have stated I see the potential of the ULC as place for real hope and thats where recognition would come into play, it doesn't haven't to be charity status I just don't think we will ever get anything approaching a religious recognition and I might add I don't know if that would be the best thing for us either the religion route.

I think the ULC as an ever growing and changing thing something that can evolve, not something a religion can do given the nature of them, but as a place or movement or charity or whatever the recognition that is where I can see it going. However thats just my idea and it would have to be one supported by the majority of us for it to work.

Currently I just don't think there is that consensus here about what we could be, for the most part its just discussing and being a part of the ULC Forum community, which as I said I love and don't need to see change or rather bring in changes that would effect this forum. Why we could certainly support various charities or causes I think from a big picture perspective as the ULC in the UK it would mean so much more for the ULC and us as members if we had some form of recognition. Of course it doesn't stop us as individuals from helping and being part of good causes and nor does it mean any less doing such thing as an individual.

For me it was just looking at the picture of the ULC in the UK. So a national convention is a good idea I just don't think given our current members it would work but then again for some of us here, the ULC is a place to discuss online different concepts and share views and ideas (which as I said I love) but for some it doesn't go beyond that.

Until there is a growing number of us who do want to go beyond that a national convention will not be viable.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Rev Rob wrote:
I think a National convention isn't a bad idea at all, however it would all depend how many of us would want to do that within this forum there would only be a handful of us. Simply because I think the way the idea the ULC is looked at over here is a bit of a joke many people I have met who have gotten ordained for the sake of it.

Where as a I have stated I see the potential of the ULC as place for real hope and thats where recognition would come into play, it doesn't haven't to be charity status I just don't think we will ever get anything approaching a religious recognition and I might add I don't know if that would be the best thing for us either the religion route.

I think the ULC as an ever growing and changing thing something that can evolve, not something a religion can do given the nature of them, but as a place or movement or charity or whatever the recognition that is where I can see it going. However thats just my idea and it would have to be one supported by the majority of us for it to work.

Currently I just don't think there is that consensus here about what we could be, for the most part its just discussing and being a part of the ULC Forum community, which as I said I love and don't need to see change or rather bring in changes that would effect this forum. Why we could certainly support various charities or causes I think from a big picture perspective as the ULC in the UK it would mean so much more for the ULC and us as members if we had some form of recognition. Of course it doesn't stop us as individuals from helping and being part of good causes and nor does it mean any less doing such thing as an individual.

For me it was just looking at the picture of the ULC in the UK. So a national convention is a good idea I just don't think given our current members it would work but then again for some of us here, the ULC is a place to discuss online different concepts and share views and ideas (which as I said I love) but for some it doesn't go beyond that.

Until there is a growing number of us who do want to go beyond that a national convention will not be viable.

I agree with your point about a national convention at the present time, and I would not want it to lead to any church hierarchy, as the beauty of the ULC is that it is an open church.
As for the way forward and development, I'm new here so basically I can only give a fairly inexperienced view. The way I see things is we need to move forward as an open church and increase accessibility. We have a wonderful forum to openly discuss everything in the open. But when people come to the church with a problem looking for advice or a stick to lean on, we probably lack a confidential service. Being of service to humankind, be it working in the community, for charities or simply being an ear for those in need is I believe the way forward for the ULC. This is something we possibly need to shout about.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:48 am
Profile E-mail

I don't do shouting. Random Acts Of Kindness are more my thing. Being aware, doing what needs to be done, if I have the means to do it. Not one for drawing attention.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:46 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

The forum is just that a forum. People can confidentially write to any member and the members issues and problem areas are not visible to people not of the forum. I and no one else has access to anyone else's mail. People can seek advice with anyone on the forum.
Califer and myself help run a forum and that is that (imo). We do not elect a committee to run the forum as the forum is just a link between members in the UK. Our body exists because we have connections to a wider church at the ULC.net and Califer pays all the bills.
What members do individually is up to them and we do not elect a hierarchical management structure upon them either as a church or a charity.
As a charity we would need a committee to decide on how it donates and who will act as Trustees and who it helps..
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-set- ... rity-cc21a
I am personally not in support of this or any structure based on a hierarchy. Even on organisational lines Carrie and others have many times in the past tried to get people together but because of transport and money issues it has always failed to get everyone from Scotland to Devon in one place.
If a member wants to run a charity then that is up to them but I believe it should not be directly associated with the forum and I will not be a member. I have enough to do as it is. Every time someone tries to elect any sort of hierarchy then the forum has collapsed. I personally do not take any rank above another but I help to run a forum and that is that. I have been a forum admin for some time now and I have diligently fulfilled that role. I have posted and attended with Califer the forum more than anyone else. This was after a previous forum tried to elect a hierarchy of bishops and the forum collapsed. It was impossible to have a structure made of faiths that have issues with each other. For instance a Satanist would not like a fundamental Christian in charge of them or visa versa or a Pagan member would not want a devout Muslim in charge or visa versa or a Atheist would want a Theist in charge of them etc. Hence, I personally will refuse any title of the ULC in the UK except that of a forum admin. The forum should be accessible and agreeable to all faiths and none faiths alike and that can only be if there is no hierarchical structures.
Now I believe if a member wants to run a charity then they do it on their name and not that of the forum. They could use the name of a ULC charity if they wanted and cleared that with the ULC HQ first but the forum of the ULCintheUK has to be neutral and run separately (imo).
I have not spoken to Califer but that is where I personally stand. If there is a hierarchy in the ULC in the UK other than along admin lines then I will leave the forum. A person does not have to be a member of the forum or accept it's authority to be a ULC minister in the UK. The forum is just a tool to meeting others. I am sorry my friends if this is not what you want to hear.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete, as I have said before any sort of way forward would not effect the running of the forum if you go back in this thread this was something Califier agreed with me on when we were talking charity status. So again Pete I have no desire to see this forum change with anyway forward, when I speak of the ULC in the UK i do not mean this forum but the ULC as a presence in the UK.

Any such thing would not be a part of this forum, as it stands because this forum is the only starting point for us in the UK the discussion has to take place here, like I said in this thread I was just throwing out ideas. As always I understand what you are saying but nothing I have ever suggested was about changing this forum, because lets say we did do something and it failed this forum need to be here unchanged.

The discussion took place here because it is the place of the ULC in the UK where we can discuss, but anything going forward with charity status or whatever route it may or could take WOULD NOT effect this forum and that would always be made clear.

Just so I can reiterate it again Pete nothing would effect the forum it is and always shall be a forum, this thread was just meant as an avenue of discussion and it has done that, and given the response to it I have already made my position clear, but there appears to be a lot of confusion, but this was never about changing the forum ever but going forward with a much bigger presence that had some form of recognition that was always removed from this forum. This place would just be where the discussion took place.

But my previous comments stand its obvious there isn't enough interest just me and a few others so at the moment it is a mute point, but once again Pete none of this was ever going to effect the forum and it never will, any way forward would have to be separate from this forum.

I hope that clears it up.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

The forum itself does not speak for all ULC ministers in the UK. There are many who do not join the forum and some who have been banned from the forum but they still remain ULC ministers in the UK. As the ULC.net forum has removed its membership lists from the new format of the ULC.net forum it is now not possible to contact those not already connected with the forum.

One thing that still worries me is if the charity supports the forum then it would be hard to separate the charity from the independence of the forum.

However, as long as this has no affect on the forum itself then I guess it is something you could consider with others. I would however check with the ULC HQ about the name "ULC" being involved in a charity.
I also do not want the forum sheild or name or logo being used on any of the paperwork of the charity as this again insinuates a connection with the forum and any problems that the charity may incur. Sorry to be so difficult about this but the independence of the forum means a lot to me.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next