View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
A possible Avenue? 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post A possible Avenue?
I was just thinking out loud given the way we are as the ULC here in the UK and just how close church and state are here, have we ever considered Charitable status, I could think of lots of cause we could potentially get behind and just looking on .GOV website it seems like a pretty intense process but one I would be willing to work towards with others here.

Not of course that we need such a status to do good work, but one that I think could be good for us a whole. Any thoughts or feelings on this?

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: A possible Avenue?
We Could. I do give to a few charities already and not being sure whether I will be able to work again makes me nervous of further commitments. However, I think it is a good idea as long as it is always voluntary.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Well I actually work for a Charity at the moment, and have spoken a few times about the process of how it one decides to become a charity and they pointed me toward the .GOV site which is intense. In my employers case the people who originally set up the Charity now do that as their job and it's not unheard of as the Royal British Legion is of course a charity but one that not only has volunteers but employees, like many charities do.

However such talk of that is far removed from the reality of just getting charity status and the huge amount of intensive planning that is involved with what we would have to do to meet it. But as I said if enough of us are prepared to go through the process (and I am) I think it would be the best direction for us here in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/setting-up-charity/set-up-a-charity

The link is above and is worth a read, if the idea takes off it maybe that those of interested in going through the process try and find a suitable bit of spare time we might all have and perhaps have a SKYPE conference call (video optional as audio is just as good plus I wouldn't want to scare every one with my face :) ) or a Instant Messenger platform or something similar and start hashing some of this out.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Call me naive but I thought the point of a charity was to ask people for money in order to give some of it to other people. I'm not very good at asking for anything.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail

In practise yes, however a charity can also do a number of things, my charity for example is part of several community groups, as well as having a big lottery funded project in the area of Digital Inclusion. The OASIS project is a local charity that acts as a food bank as well as running several community programs such as being a UKOL centre and offering advice and work clubs.

The Royal British Legion aside from the donations people give, also operates a several club's for members that has the feel of old school clubs were the profits of which going into helping the charity with it various projects it has with the armed forces, including trying to prevent or help those veterans who have become homeless.

So a Charity is perhaps so much more than the usual that comes to mind some there is a great deal of info on the.GOV site which is why I mentioned a possible group call on Skype or instant messaging for those of us who might be interested in doing so, as there is quite a bit to agree on and actually plan out. Like I said I'm very much serious about this and if enough people here are I just think it would be something good that we could do (but of course not the end all or be all)

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:14 pm
Profile E-mail

There's nothing like enthusiasm for a get together. I remember it well.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am not sure. I am happy that we give to charity as a church but if we become a charity then it all becomes complicated. Including the need for independent auditors and the ULC could end up being responsible should things go wrong. I was party to my local Quaker meeting when this was discussed. We were asked by law to either declare ourselves a charity or a business and be taxed. We declared ourselves a charity and there were conditions on doing so.
At present the ULC in the UK is a voluntary organisation run by volunteers for free. I do not want to go down the road of asking people to pay subscriptions for accountants and auditors. We are free to join and there is no cost for membership of the forum and I am happy with that.
Now if we do something for a charity then okay.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:09 pm
Profile E-mail

Indeed there would be conditions however one would not necessarily have to go down the avenue of charging subscriptions for members (its a potential one but one I think none of us would be happy with) for starters we would have to be in the position of receiving money as donations for the need for auditors and the such.

For example if you read through the link I gave you would see we would have to be in the position of having an income of over 5,000 per annum to be required to under go an audit for tax purposes as we clearly wouldn't there would be no such need, the next option would be to register as a CIO (Charitable Incorporated Organisation) which requires us to register with the charitable commission the protection this affords is protecting all trusties from financial liability should any occur.

The final is to set up as an unincorporated charitable association this is the most simple method as it allows us the recognition of being a charity but means we can not employ staff or own premises essentially the way we are now with perhaps a few more formal meetings etc But all run in our time.

These are known as the structure of types of charity https://www.gov.uk/setting-up-charity/structures

The link is worth a read I personally lean toward either CIO or unicorporated charitable association but we would still have to have trustees a governing document etc as set in the link. My reasoning for this is of course it gives us a deal of legal recognition of the good work we could be doing. So as I said as I work for a Charity and I get on well with the Board of trustees I have been able to pick their brains on this and discovered a charity simply isn't what people initially think or even related to the experience they may have had with things like the quakers etc.

Certainly under a CIO structure or probably more a unicorporated charitable association things are not nearly as complex as the traditional charity that most people think of, for us I think this would be a good thing so please Pete take a look at the link as I really do think becoming a CIO or UCA could really be a good thing.

With a UCA status the guide available on the .GOV website detailing how we could become such is very good especially if we want to run things as volunteers which makes perfect sense for us it would involve creating a constitution were trustees would be elected by possibly ULC UK members or something similar it does seem this would be the best fit for us the link for the guide is here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... d3text.pdf

Worth the read and as I said probably the best fit for us and I think for the UK would be a natural avenue for us.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another route it to contact CAF and ask if we set up an account. They will manage the account and get the tax rebate for us. The cheques from CAF can only be given to charities. They also send you a copy of the balance and they also give you a list of the charities you have given too.
They take an administrative charge but it is very little. I used to have an account with them. It committed me to pay £10 a month minimum.
https://www.cafonline.org/my-personal-g ... ng-account

Someone would need to become the charities accountant for the ULC in the UK. Any volunteers?

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:04 pm
Profile E-mail

mmmm we could do that, and apply for unincorporated Charity association as well, that way when money did come in we would know it is being handled by CAF, and we would also be recognised as a charity and as you said this does require someone volunteering as treasure and then we would need at least 3 trustees and we would just following the link I posted have to create a governing document and constitution.

So as I have said I am for helping with this but we would need a number of volunteers for things like treasury and the trustees etc, which is why I suggested just getting a feel for who is interested and then having a SKYPE call or Instant messaging conference and just hashing some of this out.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next