View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Stephen Fry on his problems with Catholicism 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Stephen Fry on his problems with Catholicism
From 2008 I must have missed this, I must say I find myself agreeing with Stephen Fry he makes a sensible argument and even states the possibility for a force for good is there it simply squandered. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sz8D411kE#t=520

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Stephen Fry on his problems with Catholicism
Loved it. I think he is so right. Trouble is I think it can be applied to so much of literal faith in that it allows some code or body to dictate one's thinking for them and in doing so accept support for punishment of all those who dissent. How easy it is to on one hand say we believe in love but on the other hand agree with hell and eternal damnation of all those who do not agree without so little thought for the humanity of those they condemn.
We are human. We are not perfect and we get things wrong because we are not infallible and all knowing and there is no clear guidelines for life. Oh! but we have the bible or this or that holy book without a further thought to some of the most cruel and vicious things in the books. Take for example Stephen Fry who in my mind is a lovable and most caring and gentle soul but these books advocated stoning and burning such people to death and declared God willed it so and they are gay and so what.. Forgive me if I struggle with this. I do not believe it is because I lack understanding but I just cannot share the sheer brutality of it all.

Thank you Rob for pointing this to me and yes like you I think he is right.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail

The full debate is on youtube as well if you want to hear the who debate, Fry unquestionably wins the debate, his point are valid as is his point about Jesus where he says states that we Jesus said and taught were beautiful wonderful ideas but the Church at times seems so far removed from that.

I loved his end point though were he said the church could be a force for good it had the potential to promote and influence a positive change for the better of mankind, it just doesn't due to various aspects of dogma and doctrine and of course the wealth and greed and corruption that comes with it.

But check out the full debate if you haven't already Pete https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIHw0fZNOA its nearly 2 hours long but worth the watch though I must warn people Ann Widdecombe is a feature and if like me you find her voice very grating and her general I'm better than you attitude very annoying you will be riled up by what she has to say.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Rob. I will check it out but at present my broadband with BT only lets me stream for a short while before raining it back to nothing. I do not recommend them. When they say unlimited they do not mean it in my experience.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Well IT and teaching it to those who have little to no experience with it is what I do, and inevitably once a learner gets to a certain level and don't have broadband already I always get asked my advice on who offers good broadband and I have never in the 7 years of IT work ever recommended BT broadband.

Like you many will sight there unlimited broadband price next to say Virgin or Sky or Talk Talk etc, and I always say but you need to understand the policy of fair usage which all the companies run but most when offering unlimited broadband will exempt their unlimited customers from it. Fair usage will effect your speed and BT do this to their unlimited customers Sky do not nor do virgin or Talk Talk.

My advice is always the same what do you want broadband for?, do you also want or do you already have a television package like on demand catch up etc?

Typically for those seeking a package it really is Sky or Virgin who offer the best value for money, if however your just after the net Talk Talk are good but there are a few others but in terms of who's service is pretty consistent across the board its those three. Me personally I use Sky only ever had an issue once and it was sorted with 30 to 40 minutes issue with my router settings which was sorted very quickly once the issue was detected.

Virgin have the fiber optic broadband which is quick as hell however it is not as widespread, it was Virgin I originally wanted but if you cant have the fiber optic then you cant have the TV stuff so it made sense to go with Sky.

I also suggest for those wishing to test it out on a prepay basis is Mobile Broadband and 3 mobile broadband is very good though avoid any contract with 3 go with the prepay, you do it through a contract and they will constantly be trying to sell you stuff.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a contradiction between those who say I can get virgin and those who say I cannot. I may end up with Sky but I am looking. However, everyone provider except Virgin uses BT WHolesale as its connector and then there is the question about the speeds it supplies.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Well my Sky which is unlimited given my job and the fact I use the internet daily and for entertainment purposes, my speed has always been consistent and consistently good, streaming services run smoothly though at time s only fast enough for standard definition if your into the HD/SD thing which isn't all that a big deal but that's the only real issue and thats nitpicking.

Virgin can be a pain, they sent me tons of mail saying get virgin etc speed is great which it is to be fair with the fiber optic, but I phoned them up and it was a no sorry your area isn't cabled for the Fiber optic. Then I used the cable my street function on their website as sometimes if a neighbor in the street behind or in front of you can get Virgin then it may be possible to get Virgin using some contraption that they have however it has a limited distance reach.

In my case a neighbor two streets over had it and unfortunately this meant that this option was not a viable one for me. So Sky was the only option for me even though they all use BT wholesale, Sky seem to have no problem delivering a decent speed to my home but I know BT itself has a whole host of issues for me its biggest problem is the policy of fair usage even on unlimited customers.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail