View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Conversation with an Atheist 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Conversation with an Atheist
Zen Dog wrote:
Thing about the Mormons was, one was a real cowboy. I always wanted to be a cowboy but I don't think they take veggies. I have a favourite memory from the Culpepper Cattle Company. No, not the genuine former virgin one, the one where the cook asks the kid what he's doing there. He tells the cook he wants to be a cowboy. The cook says, "Son, being a cowboy is what you do when you can't do nothing else". When I started working on the railway it was like that. You should have seen some of the characters I worked with back then.

Hmmm...

Is being a cowboy an English male fantasy?
My boyfriend wants to be a cowboy too!

But ... (I have to laugh!!!) he cannot wear pointy cowboy boots,
and he doesn't want to wear a 10 gallon hat.

He wants a Clint Eastwood hat, and there is NO place in hell here where we could even possibly start trying to figure out WHERE to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2016 7:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Western Emporium. Associated with Gentlemens Emporium. That's the first one that comes to mind.There are others that I would have to think of. But you are in Texas! Home of the Longhorn. I'd've thought you'd've had western outfitters all over the place. I don't mind pointy toed boots but I can't do heels. Ropers are best.

Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Western Emporium. Associated with Gentlemens Emporium. That's the first one that comes to mind.There are others that I would have to think of. But you are in Texas! Home of the Longhorn. I'd've thought you'd've had western outfitters all over the place. I don't mind pointy toed boots but I can't do heels. Ropers are best.

I wear high heeled cowgirl boots, even before I moved to Texas!
I have a black pair and a red pair.
I do have a cowboy hat! This is a guy hat, not a cowgirl hat.

Longhorns are view-able, but they are not everywhere.
Very pretty animals!

Ropers are comfortable!
My daughter has to wear ropers, cuz she is 6 feet tall!

The trick to pointy toed boots is to get a size bigger than you usually wear!

There are cowboy boot shops here that are to die for!
When you walk in they smell like leather!
And you feel like you died and went to heaven!
The boots are expensive, they start in the low hundreds and can go up to 400-500 dollars.
Same thing with the Stetson hats. They are made of beaver's fur.

My hat is not a Stetson. It is a knock-off!

Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail

And of course, there is the State Capitol to visit in Austin.

http://www.tspb.texas.gov/

Sat May 28, 2016 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:

I went on the Western Emporium website.
They do have the flat topped hat, like you said. But the top is thicker than the Clint Eastwood hat.
I've had this conversation with the man!!!

I did find some skirts that are awesome!!!

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 am
Profile E-mail

And remember, the spaghetti westerns were filmed in Spain. In the only European desert. I have been to Almeria station which has featured in one or two of them. A bullet for the general and I think Fist full of dynamite.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:40 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
And remember, the spaghetti westerns were filmed in Spain. In the only European desert. I have been to Almeria station which has featured in one or two of them. A bullet for the general and I think Fist full of dynamite.

That's true about filming in Spain, I think they were trying to make it look like parts of the Western US, where all is dry.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail

The problem is for pedants like me. They use spanish trains with european couplings.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
The problem is for pedants like me. They use spanish trains with european couplings.

You do know that I absolutely do not know what that means!!!

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:34 pm
Profile E-mail

On your side of the damp patch parts of trains are joined together with a certain piece of equipment called a buckeye coupling also called a knuckle coupling. It resembles two hands linked, fingers inside the other hand. This replaced the link and pin as seen in The General (Buster Keaton). It is standard from Fairbanks to Ushuaia. On this side, recent history apart because they keep trying to reinvent the wheel, the standard form of coupling has been an arrangement of chain link and buffers. A buffer is a spring loaded contact device, one each side of the vehicle. The chain link can be tightened in one of two ways by having a screw section or an irregular shaped center section. Looking at the front of any train, it is the first thing I notice.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:11 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next