View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
what causes fundamentalism? 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: what causes fundamentalism?
To a certain point, everyone who follows a religion is a fundamentalist. It is sad to say that the fanatics of almost all religions have taken the name fundamentalist and that is wrong. For example, I believe in the fundamental teachings of the ULC: 1) Freedom of Thought, and 2) Ethical Living. I am a ULC fundamentalist. It is very hard believing in the fundamental teachings of the ULC and become a fanatic, because those fundamental teachings lead us to open our minds to different world views or spiritual paths.

Now as a Hindu, I could become a fanatic if I insist that the "only true way is believing in God, reincarnation, the Vedas as the true word of God, and the institute of the Gurus". I believe in those elements, but I do not think they are the ultimate truth and the only path to spiritual enlightenment. So a fundamentalist is not always a negative person. I strongly believe that someone becomes a fanatic (or negative fundamentalist) when that someone fears "damnation" if he/she does not believe rigidly on those fundamental teachings.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would add the view that all must conform to a given faith and that all should adopt a given belief and must believe the same. I do not believe Luis you do this.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
I would add the view that all must conform to a given faith and that all should adopt a given belief and must believe the same. I do not believe Luis you do this.

Yes, it is true. What I am trying to say is that no matter what my religion might be, I must believe in certain fundamental teachings. Let me use my example once more.

I have adopted a Hindu or Sanatan Veda Dharma spirituality. This means that I have adopted the following:
1. Belief in a Supreme Being (God?)
2. Belief in eternity of life.
3. Reincarnation.
4. The Law of Karma
5. The belief in Avatars (historical or mythological).
6. Moksha or Spiritual Enlightenment

Those are fundamental teachings. What I do not believe is that if others do not believe this set of beliefs they will not find spiritual enlightenment. Spiritual Enlightenment can be found by all. I also reject the caste system, the mistreatment of women, and the sacrifice of animals (not all temples have sacrifice of animals). I also do not believe that those very elaborate and costly rituals performed in many temples have much value (my opinion). I strongly believe in the essential teachings found in the Vedic Upanishads and in the meditations taught by sincere spiritual teachers.

One of my favorite Hindu spiritual books is the Srimad Bhagavad Guita. Many Hindus (most of them) believe that the Gita is historical. I believe it to be allegorical.

When people ask me how do I know that what I believe in is true, I answer very simply, "I don't know, that is why it is called a believe system."

One last thing: I have put my belief in the principles of the ULC (Freedom of Thought, and Ethical Living) above my traditional religious beliefs, for I find that they open my mind to greater Peace, Understanding, Love, and Compassion.

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would say that having a belief does not in its self make someone a fundamentalist.
Your said " When people ask me how do I know that what I believe in is true, I answer very simply, "I don't know, that is why it is called a believe system."
That sentence tells me your not a fundamentalist. If you had said it was more than a belief and asserted it was fact and should not be questioned or challenged then I would suspect you were. Fundamentalism is generally not about a belief but more an attempt to control everyone to their way of thinking. In some countries it would be considered worthy of the death sentence if someone did not believe some religion. I have never seen or read anything that you have written that sort to control or demand it is the only truth and beyond question or should not be questioned. I have never heard you make threats to other people if they do not agree with your belief.
You may believe in something very strongly but you recognise it is a belief. Being religious or having a belief does not make you a fundamentalist. I would expect a believer often questions things but a fundamentalist would not.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Hermano Luis wrote:
Pete wrote:

Yes, it is true. What I am trying to say is that no matter what my religion might be, I must believe in certain fundamental teachings. Let me use my example once more.

[....]

When people ask me how do I know that what I believe in is true, I answer very simply, "I don't know, that is why it is called a believe system."

One last thing: I have put my belief in the principles of the ULC (Freedom of Thought, and Ethical Living) above my traditional religious beliefs, for I find that they open my mind to greater Peace, Understanding, Love, and Compassion.

We believe by faith. And we trust by faith. While here on this physical plane we know in part.

And yes, the ULC principals are great! They allow us to open our arms and minds and hands to others and to ourselves!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:54 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
What causes fundamentalism?
Any thoughts?

I really think that it is the idea that what we believe is the only truth that exists, or has ever existed.
It is so very contrary to the ULC premises.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:01 am
Profile E-mail

They say live the dream. Well if your dream is world domination then the rest of us dreamers have a problem.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zen Dog wrote:
They say live the dream. Well if your dream is world domination then the rest of us dreamers have a problem.

I was told the real spiritual climb mountains whilst fundamentalists stay at the bottom warning every one that there path to the top is wrong.. .

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

I was told the real spiritual climb mountains whilst fundamentalists stay at the bottom warning every one that there path to the top is wrong.. .

What does that even mean?

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:10 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess, in simple terms- seeking spiritual enlightenment is fine but cohearsing people to follow the same path with threats of hell and the like is not so warmly welcomed.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next