View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
what causes fundamentalism? 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: what causes fundamentalism?
Some one said that all acts of aggression are terrorist acts. So I say, "Ask Daesh round for a cup of tea and a chat". Be careful with the biscuits though, don't want to cause offence.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Some one said that all acts of aggression are terrorist acts. .

From www.dictionary.com

terrorism noun
1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

This lines up with what you just said.
Violence and threats, but not all violence, but in relation to politics
or in the case of Islam trying to force an archaic religious system and a foreign repressive/oppressive culture on people who are NOT from Islamic cultures or countries.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:31 am
Profile E-mail

I would not say it is Islam trying to force its views on others, but minority elements within the Islamic faith. The same can be said of fundamentalist so called Christians from the Ku Klux Klan and other white supremacist churches. We need acceptance and a modern attitude, which is why I am very supportive of the modernisers within all faiths.
I would stand by comments that say all acts of aggression are terrorism, if you are at the receiving end of such acts, which bring you terror. I personally have been on the receiving end of attacks by far right fanatics, which brought fear to my wife who was pregnant at the time. Therefore I do not believe terrorism is simply about killing or maiming, but mentally as well.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00 am
Profile E-mail

Was defending ourselves against German aggression an act of terrorism?

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:55 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:

War in general is terrorism

Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Ah War another human invention, of course conflict is necessary and when you apply human creativity and ingenuity to something like conflict is it any wonder we do so much terrible harm to each other. Conflict of course exits in nature, our distant cousins in the great apes will even sometimes kill each other over territory or a failed dominance challenge, but no where to the scale we can take it to.

So is war Terrorism?

It could certainly be argued so, it was certainly a tactic during the blitz, aside from targets of military value the mass bombing of England and her Major cities was a tactic in demoralising the population, had it continued it would of worked, because broadly speaking once the tide turned we employed the same tactics in German and from records looks like we left very little standing and by War's end the German people was demoralised and wanted and end (although by this point I think all involved did)

This could certainly be called terrorism without a doubt. however terrorism itself doesn't have to be war, war itself is for me always a massive reflection on man, that says it doesn't matter how far we have come what we have achieved, we can resort to this. War is brutal and it encourages nations to look at each other as something less than human. War though is far more complex than just being an act of terrorism yes the nitty gritty boils down to a horrendous tragic loss of human life both military and civilian, but there is normally much more going on behind it and it is where you can link War and Fundamentalism quite closely. The Crusades for example, is a reflection on a European Nation that held fundamentalist views at the time.

Our wars on Terror, was broadly speaking about a great number of things raging from a public (broadly speaking American) who wanted revenge, political oil interests, and a leader who wished to demonstrate his power and broadly speaking created and stored a hornets nest, and I will say this though given this country's political leader at the time was and is not an unintelligent man, I am always interested in what convinced him to support without question the American leader of the time, (lets be honest G.W.B was hardly a gifted speaker).

Some would say and there is certainly evidence that the Bush Administration was fundamentally committed to an attack on Iraq despite all the evidence that said differently at the time and has since be brought to light. Fundamentalism takes so many forms be it religious or political etc. It why the prospect of Donald Drumpf would be laughable if it wasn't so much of a real possibility, I listen to that man speak and I just think this must be what Hitler sounded like (I generally refrain from comparing any modern politician to Hitler as its unfair, but with him and his endless blaming of others for his short comings) I really do he has that sort of a vibe as do his rallies.

Complicated topic, this as I said it bound to be being that it is one of our creation and we as people are not exactly un-complex .

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:

No! We are allowed to defend ourselves when attacked.

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:30 am
Profile E-mail

Rev Richard wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

War in general is terrorism

We are allowed to defend ourselves. There are justified wars in the Bible.

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:31 am
Profile E-mail

Thankyou Lannah. My next question: Is defending those who cannot defend themselves from aggression an act of terrorism?

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:48 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Thankyou Lannah. My next question: Is defending those who cannot defend themselves from aggression an act of terrorism?

Nope.
That falls under self defense, and defending an innocent.

Here, I can defend myself.
But I can also defend my daughter and my mother and my grandkids, etc.
If someone has a gun or a knife to them, and I tell them to stop and they do not, and I shoot them, It is "defending an innocent".

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next