View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:13 pm

What camera do you recommend? 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: What camera do you recommend?
Yes indeed, both Nikon and Canon have long been great camera manufacturers, with the occasional "Edsel" model sneaking in every now and again. But if you look for used lenses for either, you have to make sure that the contemplated lens has the same mount as the camera body you get. Nikon has had about 3 different mounts, and they're not really interchangeable without an adapter (if at all).

Myself, having started out with a Pentax K1000 all-manual camera, and having more than a couple of lenses, have stayed with the Pentax line. Although an adapter is needed to use an M42 screw-mount lens on newer cameras, all of Pentax's K-mount lenses can be used on any K-mount body. The only difference being that each newer K-format has additional contacts which will or might-not be shared by the body and lens. So, some automated features (auto-focus or auto-exposure) may or may not work, depending.

I have noticed, though, that Pentax's new digital medium format camera body (the 645D)can only use their previous MF lenses with an adapter, but as the camera starts out around $10,000, and lenses around $800 or more, it's not going to be in my camera bag during this lifetime.

I don't recommend sony products either, as much from the "captive audience pricing" for every following camera-related purchase, but out of long memory of their screwing the entire music-listening world with their hidden "root-kit" on music CDs which self-install (malware, basically) when played on a computer's CD-ROM drive, lousing up their OS and needing extreme measures on some computers to eradicate. Such corporate un-neighborlyness is enough for me to deliberately spend my money on other worthy products which can do the same job better or cheaper or even if neither. I won't even buy their DVDs or CDs new, but rather second-hand so that they don't get any extra money from me.

But then, I have a long memory.

Fuji also makes some nice cameras, including some all-in-one units with fixed lenses with a long zoom range. Just, with ANY camera you use, the very first thing to do is to turn off any Digital Zoom feature it might have. Have you ever scaled an image up on your computer? The image degrades some as interpolation algorithms add extra pixels to the image. That's ALL that digital zoom does, makes your picture less sharp, pixelated even.

Some great film-camera manufacturers did not make the transition into digital. Leica did, but you need mega dinero to buy their stuff (by the way, if you see a used lens advertised saying it's an M39 screw-mount, that's for a Leica).

Good luck, and good composing-and-framing.

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:52 pm
Profile E-mail