View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am

What camera do you recommend? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post What camera do you recommend?
What camera do you recommend?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: What camera do you recommend?
What kind of picture-taking are you contemplating. It can really matter sometimes.

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like to photograph scenes and especially the countryside. So handling detail and light is important

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:25 am
Profile E-mail

Any of the new mirrrorless interchangeable-lens cameras should do fine for that. They've been talking about them quite a bit on the "This Week in Photography" podcast lately, as it seems even some Pro photographers are contemplating abandoning their SLR and even sometimes Medium Format cameras for these new types. You might try downloading a few recent episodes and listening to what they have to say about the different models from several manufacturers.

Myself, I'm staying with my Pentax 35mm SLR film cameras and my Pentax digital SLR camera, as they can all use the same assortment of lenses.

Ananta Androscoggin

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have an old canon A1 35mm and lenses but I do not use it now. I was given a canon 600d from my brother. It takes great pics but it is heavy logging lenses around. I have a panasonic fz200 which is very light and portable.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 am
Profile E-mail

Indeed, the weight issue is one that gets cited by many when talking about using mirrorless cameras. Their interchangeable lenses tend to be smaller and lighter as well.

Some of the cameras that don't allow lens changes, especially later models, have rather long zoom ranges in their fixed lens, and thus give quite an extensive range of possibilities in framing a shot. I'm referring to the ones which are designed to look like an SLR camera. If one doesn't need to use an extreme of focal lengths, such as very-wide-angle (like 'fisheye' types) or very long telephoto (like 400mm or longer - in 35mm terms) then these kinds of cameras should be sufficient.

For output, versus camera megapixels, it seems that many people use 300 dpi on paper as a standard. That's for color images, anyway (w/4- or 6-color printers). If the camera saves the files at 72ppi (I never understood why this resolution) then you can use the editing software to change it to 300dpi (letting the dimensions change - don't keep them fixed or the result will probably get pixilated by the extrapolation algorhythm) you'll see the largest dimensions of good looking prints that camera's files will ususally be capable of making without a bit of working-over in editing.

I hope that paragraph made sense. It took a while for some of the people in the photography class I took to 'get it.'

Ananta Androscoggin

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a 41 megapixol phone camera. Great for scenery but for the need of other shots I am happier for 12 mega pixol. According to my local photo store they are increasing mega pixol as a gimmick to sell cameras because the good cameras have similar abilities and they recommend 12 to 18. Although higher pixols allow for greater photoshop fixes t, yet to much and it looks more obvious in my experience.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 pm
Profile E-mail

they do indeed.

But the more megapixels to an image, the more fabulous the glass in front of the sensor needs to be, or they're pretty much wasted expense. That's why digital Medium Format (formerly 120 roll film) cameras like the Pentax D645 have such honking big lenses for their 40-45 MP image-taking.

I agree. It takes quite a bit of practice and understanding of the tools in Photoshop to begin to do 'subtlety' to an image. I'm not quite there yet, but each image is another learning experience. I'll still never be an 'artiste,' though.

Ananta Androscoggin

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can adjust most pictures with Paintshop or Photoshop elements. It is tricky at times but if I give myself the time I can sort out most problems. I started by making copies of prints, renaming them and saving them to play with. Many make the blunder of starting to work on their favourite pics and then lose heart. One can copy and rename to one's hearts content and still keep the originals.
I guess I am what women call the archetype man - never read the manuals. Just play with the programme until it makes sense. :coffee:

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 am
Profile E-mail

Pete asking what camera do you recommend is like asking What car is a better car, you will get a multitude of different answers.

Personally I would go with a Canon DSLR (in fact I own the Canon Rebel XSI/450D and would love to get one of the Canon 1D series cameras). Though if presented with the option I would also use Nikon, both are great camera manufacturers. Canon bodies seem to be slightly more then the Nikon equivalents, but Nikon lenses seem to cost more then the equivalent Canon ones. I tend to tell people to avoid the Sony DSLRs, while they take great pics, you are locked into a proprietary flash due to the flash hotshoe design, where as Nikon, Canon, Olympus all use a standard hotshoe design (though each does have their own proprietary pin contact points for TTL flash metering, they all share a common center pin contact for firing the flash).

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile E-mail