View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 am

THE ABOLITION OF WORK 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post THE ABOLITION OF WORK
THE ABOLITION OF WORK by Bob Black.
http://www.zpub.com/notes/black-work.html

A little snippet:

No one should ever work.

Work is the source of nearly all the misery in the world. Almost any evil you'd care to name comes from working or from living in a world designed for work. In order to stop suffering, we have to stop working.

That doesn't mean we have to stop doing things. It does mean creating a new way of life based on play; in other words, a ludic conviviality, commensality, and maybe even art. There is more to play than child's play, as worthy as that is. I call for a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance
. Play isn't passive. Doubtless we all need a lot more time for sheer sloth and slack than we ever enjoy now, regardless of income or occupation, but once recovered from employment-induced exhaustion nearly all of us want to act. Oblomovism and Stakhanovism are two sides of the same debased coin.

The essay is 10 pages long, but well worth the read in my opinion.

If we carry on as we are we will be heading to extinction, our water is polluted - our food is void of nutrients - our skies are full of chemtrails - our politicians are full of *******!!!

We as a species are worse than a virus as we inflict untold suffering upon our fellow travelers, we kill and torture for fun; we are not as intelligent as we think we are.

If you'd like to listen to an audio version of the above essay here it is:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNlctD0RYc

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:20 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: THE ABOLITION OF WORK
I find this difficult to follow. I mean I agree that people do get exploited but in the same way without work we have no mechanism of society. In capitalism those who own rule but also those who work have a participation in that ownership and can influence its outcome. My work is my ticket to say I play a role in a society. Capitalism allows for diversity of products which a wholly mechanised industry cannot produce. Yes it exploits and yes it is rotten to some but to others it gives structure and purpose to life.
I mean society is too big for a return to the hunter gatherer idea of society. If we were all hunter gatherers, far from bringing about peace and play, there would be disputes as to where each can hunt and gather. Then again who would run around supporting the sick and disabled. Who would transport food to the populace during lean times. Who would produce power for heating during the winters. Who would produce the products that allow us to communicate with each other and bind our large societies together etc etc.
I agree life is not perfect and work can be drudgery sometimes but without it I believe society would fragment. Even during the russian revolutions they could not dispense of work and give everyone ample leisure and found the only way to run the society was as a national capitalism that traded as a nation to the rest of the world. Call it soviets or cooperates or whatever one could still see in its relations to the outside world it has remained an industry with industrial relationships and a capitalist outlook. Stalin even crushed the peasants and others for fear that they would not produce the food for the so called utopia to live.
Yes capitalism is bad but I have also noted that I am free to say that and can communicate that online and respectfully speak to my neighbour as I want and generate new ideas which I believe in isolation I would not be able to do in another say hunter, tribal, or so called communist country. So given the vote to work and play my part in society I would vote yes, but that does man that I favor a society that overly exploits people. That said the best way to prevent that is to have a meaningful and valuable ownership of my own labor and to participate in a society. It may not be perfect but as far as I see the alternatives are not there and I am sorry but I do not see bob coming out with something that would work with the present population and complexity of the society we now live in and hold it together.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete, we have all been conditioned by the System and have become dependent upon said System. Bob is not saying no one should work, but that their has to be a new consciousness as regards to work. Its a big ask because we have all been well and truly indoctrinated by the System, but if we carry on as we are we will soon become extinct. We are raping and pillaging Mother Earth at a frightening rate, we are also murdering and torturing our fellow travelers at a frightening rate. If we can carry on as we are and not question what on earth we are doing to the planet and the resources then we are doomed.

We are no more than slaves and laboratory rats.
This is what the System wants!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

All good motives. That said when we consider all that could stand against our future survival it is amazing we have last this long. One day I am sure either our planet or some other entity from space will say it is enough. What we are doing is trying to prolong what we have till then. Unless we find some way of getting off this planet and into space to find new worlds then I just do not know how we can escape it. Trouble is mankind is to busy playing ego and exploitation games with each other and the earth at present. It is sad but true (IMO).

http://www.nss.org/resources/library/sp ... awking.htm

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
All good motives. That said when we consider all that could stand against our future survival it is amazing we have last this long. One day I am sure either our planet or some other entity from space will say it is enough. What we are doing is trying to prolong what we have till then. Unless we find some way of getting off this planet and into space to find new worlds then I just do not know how we can escape it. Trouble is mankind is to busy playing ego and exploitation games with each other and the earth at present. It is sad but true (IMO).

http://www.nss.org/resources/library/sp ... awking.htm

I often say the same Pete! It is a miracle that we are still here! Are their Invisible Helpers watching over us(possibly 'us' from the future).

I know that I have been guided by my personal Invisible Helpers, without their intervention I would not be here now(bowel cancer nearly guided me through the exit door!).

Their is a purpose to All This.

We are here to find out what that purpose is!

Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail

After a 42 year apprenticeship in the study of sloth and lethargy I have finally graduated and am now fully qualified to do absolutely nothing unsupervised.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow! A Zen Dog going unsupervised. :excite: Now that is Scary. Best warn the neighbours.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail

I've been diagnosed as a workaholic.

Luckily, however, I've managed to stay 'on the wagon' for all of my adult life...

:lol:

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail