View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Seems the Universe may collapse or not 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Seems the Universe may collapse or not
I have wondered for a time whether the universe has a cycle of big bang and expansion and then the collapse to a core again and then a big bang again.

Seems it may be true? :- http://phys.org/news/2013-12-collapse-u ... loser.html

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Seems the Universe may collapse or not
Traditional Hinduism believes that the Universe dies and re-incarnates again, and again, and again, and...

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail

Well, I'd just wait and see.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:46 am
Profile E-mail

be sure to let me know when it happens.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

I'll give you a shake. Tea or coffee?

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:41 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

It may mean that because everything goes heavy that even a shake may not be able to be done.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 am
Profile E-mail

The last thing I've read (on the serious side) is that they haven't been able to find signs of enough "Dark Matter" for its gravity to make this universe a "closed system" (big-bang/crunch/bang/crunch/etc.). Apparently, current thought is that it's the long, slow, cold-death as the last stars burn out and everything gradually cools off to Absolute Zero (-273°K) in our futures.

(of course, once technology improves enough, they may finally discover where the dark matter is hiding from us)

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:05 am
Profile E-mail

For our generation and I reckon several hundred generations to come, the point is very academic. If we could be there we wouldn't recognise our descendants even if they survive the ice ages that will come and go. Their mindset will be as like ours is as ours is to the ancient Sumerians. Although a Star Trek type replicator is now in its infancy, I think it will be a very long time before we achieve nuclear fusion. Which is what we'll need as a power supply. As for faster than light speed! I think that will only be achieved in communication. If you can imagine the energy it would take to accelerate a grain of sand to the moon without crashing into anything on the way and protect the contents in its hollow core then you might picture a ship on route to our nearest neighbouring star. The thing about space is it is big. There is a lot of it. The end of the universe as far as we are concerned is never going to happen. It is 14.7 billon years old and still growing. Still a sprog. If it started dying tomorrow, we wouldn't know for billions of years. Of course, um, if it started a while ago..................

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
For our generation and I reckon several hundred generations to come, the point is very academic. If we could be there we wouldn't recognise our descendants even if they survive the ice ages that will come and go. Their mindset will be as like ours is as ours is to the ancient Sumerians. Although a Star Trek type replicator is now in its infancy, I think it will be a very long time before we achieve nuclear fusion. Which is what we'll need as a power supply. As for faster than light speed! I think that will only be achieved in communication. If you can imagine the energy it would take to accelerate a grain of sand to the moon without crashing into anything on the way and protect the contents in its hollow core then you might picture a ship on route to our nearest neighbouring star. The thing about space is it is big. There is a lot of it. The end of the universe as far as we are concerned is never going to happen. It is 14.7 billon years old and still growing. Still a sprog. If it started dying tomorrow, we wouldn't know for billions of years. Of course, um, if it started a while ago..................

I totally agree with you Zen Dog!

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:13 am
Profile E-mail

Thank you. Although, people seldom seem to know what I am rambling on about most of the time. :oldman:

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 am
Profile E-mail