View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am

Do you consider yourself to be religious 

I am religious 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
I am not religious 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
I can be both 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
I am not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Do you consider yourself to be religious
Pete wrote:
I guess you have a point Mark. I think (IMO) the more one thinks about a religion for themselves and what upholds it the more it becomes a philosophy. Of course you will find those who disagree.
I got into a debate with some people one the idea of someone being atheist and Christian. I did not see an issue and as you can guess others did.
My point was it is hard to define God with so many opinions, let alone say you must believe in God. This led onto whether the message of Jesus could also be a philosophy. I thought it could and again others felt not. Those who thought it could not appeared to be more swayed by a churches or denominations opinion. I fell out with that once I read the history.

i don't understand being atheist and christian at the same time.

as far as the"message of jesus"being a philosophy,sure.the idea of love for all beings makes sense.

and yes,you'll find someone to disagree with anything.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

rev mark wrote:
Pete wrote:
I guess you have a point Mark. I think (IMO) the more one thinks about a religion for themselves and what upholds it the more it becomes a philosophy. Of course you will find those who disagree.
I got into a debate with some people one the idea of someone being atheist and Christian. I did not see an issue and as you can guess others did.
My point was it is hard to define God with so many opinions, let alone say you must believe in God. This led onto whether the message of Jesus could also be a philosophy. I thought it could and again others felt not. Those who thought it could not appeared to be more swayed by a churches or denominations opinion. I fell out with that once I read the history.

i don't understand being atheist and christian at the same time.

as far as the"message of jesus"being a philosophy,sure.the idea of love for all beings makes sense.

and yes,you'll find someone to disagree with anything.

I guess it depends on how one sees Christianity and Jesus. If we are talking about Jesus as God and the sacrifice for sin then I expect most atheists and many liberals would struggle with this but if we see the historic Jesus in his political context then I think we can see ones self as a follower even if one does not follow the religion. Just as it is possible to follow the example of Gandhi without being a Hindu. Sure it flies in the face of tradition but as I see it both Jesus and Gandhi did so too.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 am
Profile E-mail

well pete,there are buddhists who consider jesus a buddha.personally,i don't believe he even existed,but before anyone else says it,it doesn't take away from the teachings of love.

i still question the atheist/christian tie in,i would guess them to be on the very liberal end of christian,which i can respect,or even call them agnostics(which i also respect.)as far as ghandi,yes i also respect his teachings.buddhism and hinduism aren't that far apart.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can see where your coming from and that is cool. I could not say how it fully works with atheist Christians but they do exist. As a rule of thumb if a thing works for someone then I would go with it. Just like no two Christians are alike there are (IMO) no two atheists alike. I know you know that I am a liberal myself. I believe the historical Jesus existed but I do not accept the myth that the church has made of him or what much of the bible claims. I think there is value in the teachings which I try to aspire too but I am not into sacrifices for sin, virgin births, miracles or even that he was the messiah or God. Some may say I am not Christian but I really do not care what they think. I know what I have studied and the path I have walked. That path is for me. It may not be for everyone and people will find the path that is right for them. In this I am somewhat universal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... eism.shtml

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail

He wasn't the Messiah.He was a very naughty boy.Or am I thinking of someone else?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Hermano Luis wrote:
One thing we have to remind ourselves and those who believe in God is that the word God is not God. Sometimes we get to attached to the word "God" and think that the word and the object named by the word (in this case "God") are the same thing.

God is neither a person or a thing. I think it was the Dominican theologian and mystic, Johannes Eckhart (1260-1329) who said that God is a "no-thing".

Hermano Luis

Then how come I've seen His picture on the ceiling of the cistine chapel?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would say the totality of God is undefinable but many will try and define God anyway. They also define Jesus too. I look with interest ever time I see the white skinned, beared, blonde hair figure on church windows. If he was any of those things I think he would have stud out a mile in ancient Jerusalem.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 pm
Profile E-mail

Well they did crucify him.Likely 'cos he didn't fit in.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crucifiction was a Roman tactic and not a Jewish one. If he had been thrown him off the temple wall then I would have believed the Jews were behind it. The Romans were not keen on religious people and wanted all to become good little citizens of Rome. Any religious person preaching a differing opinion would therefore have been seen as trouble maker.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 am
Profile E-mail

The Romans were very religious and very liberal with other belief systems.Most dwellings had household gods/shrines and local deities were welcome.Look at Bath.What they didn't like was mixing religion with politics.Except where it was used to support the government.Anything that was perceived as anti Roman was penalised.Yeshua bar Yoseph was given the standard state execution for insurrection indicating that the story of P.Pilate 'washing his hands' is false.Any perceived heresy on the part of the Jewish authorities would not have concerned the Romans.Denying the supremacy of the Emperor etc,not something the Sanhedrin would be worried about,would.There were many 'messiahs' kicking about Palestine at the time but the whole mythology that we have come to know and 'love' was started by one man who wasn't even there at the time.A similar occurrence took place in America in the early 19thc.I think it was an American newspaper editor who said,"When the legend becomes more interesting than the truth,print the legend".

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 am
Profile E-mail