View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 am

Do you consider yourself to be religious 

I am religious 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
I am not religious 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
I can be both 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
I am not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Do you consider yourself to be religious
I should have said the Romans did not like religious Jews. The problem for them was the Roman identity had Pagan and Helenised religions which they wanted the Jews to adopt. The Jews followed Judaism which forbade the participation in Helenised religions. So if a Jew was a radical follower of Judaism then they were often seen as a trouble maker. The exception was with the Sadducees who ruled from the temple and basically sold out to the Romans in order to maintain their power and influence. The Sadduccees were not to be crossed as they often got Roman support to back them up. However in 70AD the Romans butchered anyone in Jerusalem and crucified anyone (men, women, and children) trying to escape. It was after this that the Romans only allowed the Jews to visit the temple once a year to mourn their loss. The Pharisees then became the more influential group as the Romans finished off the Sadduccee's influence and continued to persecute the Jews.
That said in the time of Jesus there was many differing groups and many ended with a bad result. Crucifixion was a Roman way of killing people and the cross was thought to be there to shame their victims by hoisting them up for all to see. Now it maybe that the Sadduccees complained to the Romans about Jesus but the Romans only did what they thought was needed to keep their power and their influence. The idea of Pilate (as in the bible) being forced to crucify a Jew is for me a joke. Pilate was known to kill people and often incited people to complain so he could kill them. He was also recalled to Rome by the Roman Emperor because it was said that he was too cruel. Something unique in Roman circles.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:24 am
Profile E-mail

What was also unusual was that Pilate disappeared from the records on return to Rome.Some one of his position would be expected to remain in public life.Roman cruelty was normal but annoying the boss was totally out of order.It wasn't until Caligula that the senatorial class were publicly humiliated.Prior to that,people were quietly disposed of or invited to do the honourable thing.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am
Profile E-mail

I consider myself religious and spiritual.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 am
Profile E-mail

Yup, Same as Lannah. I'm religious and spiritual.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW