View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 am

Credibility 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Credibility
I found it Mark:- See:- http://collegeplex.org/registeredschools.pdf
page 75-76.

It lists the following Quote from the State of California:-
"1. School Name: Quest Ministries of the Universal Life Church & ULC Seminary, Inc.
Phone:
4714 Careyback Avenue
Elk Grove, CA 95758
58707730 Mailing Address:
Elk Grove, CA 95758
4714 Careyback Avenue
(916) 690-1682 Fax: ()
Conact Person: Amy Long Title: President
2. Programs Offered:
Doctor of Buddhism -- Date Registered: 8/24/05
Doctor of Christian Studies -- Date Exempted: 9/28/04
Doctor of Divinity (Honorary) -- Date Exempted: 9/28/04
Doctor of Metaphysics -- Date Exempted: 9/28/04
Doctor of Ministry -- Date Exempted: 9/5/06
6/4/2007
Report produced by
S.A.I.L - Schools Automated Information Link Page 75 of 111
California Department of Consumer Affairs
Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education -
Religious Exempt Institutions
Doctor of Shamanistic Theology -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Doctor of Spiritual Counseling -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Doctor of Spiritualism -- Date Exempted: 9/28/04
Doctor of Wiccan Studies -- Date Exempted: 9/28/04
Master of Buddhist Studies -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Christian Counseling -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Comparative Religion -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Divinity (Honorary) -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Druidism -- Date Exempted: 9/5/06
Master of Metaphysics -- Date Exempted: 9/28/04
Master of Paganism -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Reiki -- Date Exempted: 9/5/06
Master of Religion -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Spiritual Awareness -- Date Exempted: 9/5/06
Master of Spiritual Counseling -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Spiritualism -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05
Master of Wiccan Studies -- Date Exempted: 8/24/05"

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 am
Profile E-mail

Hi All,
As a matter of interest we in the UK have a government dept. which will tell you the compatability of earned church degrees. Find on website NARIC.
As regards earned degree, and degree issued, the status of the degree should remain the same as when issued. I am however discussing this with various church authorities and will post my findings. Naric I think charge £46 per enquiry but I think only of use when comparing a UK cert. against an overseas one. Although I cannot confirm at present, a church earned degree is valid internationally.
Back to Jesus. Within Islam Jesus survived to continue work and buried in Kashmir.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suspect you will not find what your looking for. The Church is based over in the US and therefore there is no equivelent of a ULC ministerial degree over in the UK. That said, if the State of California recognises it as a religious qualification then I believe it still stands as a religious title.
However, I would not be in favour of anyone who tries to pretend to others that they have an academic equivelent to an academic degrees over in the UK unless of course they actually do.

I know some of the stage hypnotists recommend people get the Doctorate titles from the ULC and other bodies in the US. They then use it to con people that they are more qualified in their field of hypnotism and therapy then they actually are. I have a study dvd in NLP where the teacher was recommending just this. That said I really do not recommend or agree with them in doing this.
I became very cross when I saw a Degree in Counselling being offered by one guy in the US for a fee. I thought this would be an abuse of trust and they were conning people that they were more qualified to help someone then they actually were. I reported it to the UK counselling bodies and they said they could do nothing about it because it was a US awarded qualification.
The issue is as I understand it, in the US the title "Degree" or "Doctorate" is not protected in the same way as in the UK and it is often used similar as to the UK's use of the title "Diploma". I have a diploma in NLP and its official and recognised but it most definitely is not equivelent to a University awarded Diploma of higher education. That said the ULC as religious body should still be exempt and recognised. Remember it is a development of history that many of the earliest educational establishments were run by churches and many still do offer degrees recognised by their church.
Like I say, I support people doing studies at the ULC Seminary and the ULC.net but I also strongly advise that people are respectful and honest in how they use such titles.
I also would put (honoris causa) after the degree title. For example write the Degree in religious philosophy as a Degree in religious philosophy(honoris causa) or (HC). See:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree
and :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_t ... cademic%29
That way there is no mistaking what you have.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 am
Profile E-mail

thanks for the info pete.

just for further information,the use of the title doctorate and the title doctor are regulated by state.in some states only medical docotrs may use it.in others,it is allowed as phd,ed,dd,or something along that line.

by the way,in most cases,a degree in philosophy is earned in college or universty.i was working on my masters in philosophy at one time,but ran out of money.the philosophy degrees awarded by various religious organizations are usually about their specific beliefs.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:14 am
Profile E-mail YIM

this is Kevin's "official" stance on degrees.. Ignore the plugs for the store, it's still good info. :P

Quote:

The Universal Life Church issues several degrees, and all degrees issued by the church are recorded in the permanent church records. The church has been in existence since 1959, retaining records of all ordinations and degrees issued since then.

The degrees convey rank, title, or status within the church. They do not convey academic standing or achievement. They are accredited by the International Accrediting Association (I.A.A.), which is the accreditation arm of the church. This means that the course, degree, or title has been approved and endorsed by the I.A.A. by authority of the Board of Directors. If you have questions related to the issuance of church degrees and titles, you should direct them to generalcontact@ulchq.com.

Would I place a ULC title on a resume, application for employment or academic standing? In most cases, I would not. It would not be ethical to represent a degree as something other than what it is in order to obtain something to which you are not otherwise entitled.

For example, if someone with a Doctor of Divinity were to don a white lab coat over surgical scrubs, drape a stethescope around his neck while calling himself Doctor So-and-so offering health screening, he would be engaging in fraud, contrary to the Universal Doctrine. He'd also be at risk of finding himself engaged in a full-time prison ministry!
If the same person wore a clerical collar, offered you a business card introducing himself as Dr. So and So, it would be entirely appropriate.

In some cases, you may be prohibited from listing such degrees on an application, because it relates to a church organization.

In no case would I include such information under the heading of Education, nor as Specialized Training. It would be more appropriate to list these credentials under the heading of Titles, Awards, or Other Achievements. Nor would I use it to meet any minimum job requirement standards.

In some few cases, your status as an ordained minister may be relevant. For example, if you were applying for a job as a wedding minister at a Las Vegas Chapel, you would have to be an ordained minister, capable of performing lawful marriage in Clark County. In such a case, your status as an ordained minister with the ULC would be highly relevant. It would appropriate to include any and all other ULC titles and degrees you have in this situation.

If the employer should suspect that you are attempting to pass off your religious titles as academic training, or to qualify for a pay raise, you would lose a lot of credibility.

The Universal Life Church does not impose a tithe (tax) on its members, as is so popular in many of the big dog churches. Heck, at ULC they don't even pass the plate at Sunday services!

People contribute to the fraternal and financial requirements of this organization in other ways, in whatever way they are moved by Spirit to participate.

One person may bring an offering of brownies & milk to services, while another may offer a refreshing beverage to the celebration of fraternity. On a broader scale, members of the ULC contribute financial support through their support of the church's instructional mission, as well as the Degree, Sainthood, Congregation, Title, and other church related items.

Your support of the ULC Bookstore (www.ulc.net) helps to maintain and promote this historic church. All courses, titles and degrees offered on ULC.NET are the official issue of the original Univeral Life Church in Modesto, CA. In existence since 1959.

Did you know that the Doctor of Divinity and similar degrees are considered "honorary" titles, regardless of the institution which issues the degree? ULC's honorary religious degrees are issued to commemorate your understanding of church principles, and in recognition that you are the world's foremost authority on what you believe.

The earned degrees we offer (those requiring a passing score on a test or completion of written work) further convey satisfactory completion of a course of instruction related to the principles, beliefs and practices of spiritual belief and church operations.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Rev. Mark and Murph for the info. That is useful.

P.S. There is no issue with the ULC advertising its store here or the Seminary advertising its courses. Please do. If you want a section for doing so then just ask.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail

I did ask Amy while on other things. Can the title of doctor be used outside
of ULC? Answer. With Doctor Biblical Egyptology you can.
Hopefully back later.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I know they are all honoury titles. If they are being used for more than that then I feel a person could trouble.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:29 am
Profile E-mail

Having some contact with ULC and the author/compiler of course et al
apparently course is classed as academic and credit points awarded and not
rated as honorary.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 pm
Profile E-mail

Having a few extra minutes. I personally do not use the title Dr. or any other.
Course was intended to increase knowledge of an area and region to which I spend time. To use would cause somewhat of a problem with my universities
association both in my graduate medical degrees and that of archaeological research. To be acknowledged as doctor by the various church denominations
requires a transitional. The term doctor is ok but not within own denominations
educational setup. Many Evangelicals either qualify or call themselves Dr.

It is not
unusual also to be refered as such on the Continent and Middle East as a
mark of respect for position. It would seem that in the UK you can call
yourself anything providing its within the law, ie. no deception is involved etc.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail