View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm considering art as a possibility 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post I'm considering art as a possibility
Things here are very stressy at the mo, and yesterday due to juggling, picking up children early from school, so they can eat, then be in concert at our local theatre here, I found I had some time to kill. I popped into our art gallery to see how it has grown and found that they were doing classes on Tuesday afternoons, just as I was there. I'm considering attending next week as I've not done any artwork for a long while now and I've certainly never used watercolours so a new challenge and therapy may emerge. :arms:
Are any of you arty?

Love, Life and energy to you

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: I'm considering art as a possibility
My muse speaks to me in several media. Words, steel, metals and wood. I have found that creation is a wonderful salve to my stress (except when I break a wand that I've been intricately carving for a couple hours! Wood can be frustrating, it does not forgive like steel!)

I say jump on the chance! Break out the brushes and go crazy!

Ideas have no carbon footprint...

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

The benefits of art as a therapy is well researched and an excellent medium (IMO).
I did a joint group with an Art therapist for four years and I have to say I enjoyed every moment and saw it as a very powerful tool of therapy.
I fully recommend it.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

see:- http://stress.about.com/od/funandgames/a/learningtodraw.htm
http://www.romow.com/art-blog/the-benefits-of-art-therapy/
http://www.lbbd.gov.uk/6-social-services/comm-disability/art-therapy/benefits.html

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 am
Profile E-mail

Cheers Pete, I'll look up those sites later today.

:grin:

Feeel really positive today
I so love this weather :thumbs:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 am
Profile E-mail

Mmm. not thought about sculpture or carving....I havent carved a piece of wood since I was little with the cubs and scouts - Dad was a group scout leader all our holidays were scout camps - brilliant way to grow up and be a tom boy...well it was for me anyway

I'll think on the carving thing too, any oarticular woods that are good Cthulu?

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:50 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I never did manage anything more then tent pegs. My Dad was a scout leader too. Loved the camping as a kid.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Cool we have something else in common how great :clap:
Camping and camp fires were the best bit about it all even in the rain. Digging latrines and or emptying elsen toilets...not so much fun - they wouldnt let the children do that now blimey think of the red tape and health and safety regulations :lol:
Those were the days :roll:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

We used to make makeshift shelters to sleep in, tramp all over the Yorkshire moors (sometimes alone) with a map and compass, go abseiling, swimming in the rivers, make aerial runways, climb most peaks, go around doing bob a job or just doing work for free and being nice to strangers and people we knew alike. I have no idea what the health and safety or child protection would say about it now but I am glad I was in the scouts then rather than now. Heck! just about everything is covered by red tape.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:33 am
Profile E-mail

Yeah it was great fun. Loved abseiling but was never keen on rock climbing and mountaineering. Do you remember 11 yrs ago though it'll be 12 this yr the avalanche accident just after Christmas in Aonach Mor Scotland where4 Scouters lost their lives? My ex, Ian Edwards,was one of them. We did ventures together though I'd known hi and his twin, Steve, since they were cubs and their Mum, Carol, was my guide leader too so I'd known them for ever. I still miss him but he was doing something he loved and he was an experienced climber it was just one of those natural tragedies that occur that take away those we love before we are ready to part with them. Just as it is for the families and friends who were caught in the French floods of this week.

One of the most daft memories I have are of Guernsey, great place by the way if you've never been especialy when they have the flower festival its beautiful. Anyway the daft memory is such a simple one. Washing my hair under a freezing cold standpipe water tap just as it starts to rain with that lovely fine spray yet it was warm weather. Absolute madness but my hair shone so well after that.

I dont think I ever went to moors. Did Norway only i was a toddler then ( I was born into scouting and started camp at 4mths old), I did Guernsey a few times, Forest of Dean, New Forest, Dorset, Downe, Gillwell Park, Brownsea Island, our campsite, they're ones I can recall with the 5th and I was a leader for a while with the 8th and did Thriftwood and Brentwood too.
Good times they were :wink:

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail