View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am

United Kingdom/Great Britain 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: United Kingdom/Great Britain
I think it is anecdote and conjecture now.Lost knowledge.Modern Druids have no direct connection with ancient Druids and they post dated Stonehenge.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Zen Dog, when did modern day Druids take off? Is it a relatively recent thing?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 am
Profile E-mail

Look up Neo Druidism on Wikipedia.I still haven't learnt how to cut and paste.I just tried it but I've forgotten what my daughter told me.Again.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: United Kingdom/Great Britain - for Zen Dog
Hi Zen Dog,

I went on line, as you suggested and i was surprised at how ignorant i am about certain things! (Neo-Druidism)

The movement is quite old, it began in the 18th century (so the 1700s), during the Romantic Movement/Romanticism (which was actually mostly literary).

I found it interesting!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail

They do their thing at Stonehenge every year.Bit like if the Scientologists had an annual gathering in St Pauls cathedral or something.Stonehenge seems to have been abandoned when the original Druids came across from the continent and there was a huge cultural shift.There is evidence that people attended a twice yearly gathering at Stonehenge from as far away as what is now northern Scotland and its construction was widely organised and multigenerational.All this ended when a new religion,new technology and aggressive tribalism developed.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: United Kingdom/Great Britain - to Z D
Zen Dog wrote:
I think it is anecdote and conjecture now.Lost knowledge.Modern Druids have no direct connection with ancient Druids and they post dated Stonehenge.

Hi Z D,

you mention "they post dated Stonehenge".

Who post dated Stonehenge (the neo-druids?), and for what purpose?

Sun May 05, 2013 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail

The Druids possibly came from the continent about the same time as the Amesbury archer.If they developed here they weren't around when Stonehenge was built because Stonehenge seems to predate a lot of tribal conflict.The builders of Stonehenge seemed to have worshipped their ancestors whereas later cultures seemed to have been animists.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:36 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
The Druids possibly came from the continent about the same time as the Amesbury archer.If they developed here they weren't around when Stonehenge was built because Stonehenge seems to predate a lot of tribal conflict.The builders of Stonehenge seemed to have worshipped their ancestors whereas later cultures seemed to have been animists.

Interesting! I did not know that! So they were not from the same period. But i can see why they would be fascinated by the structure, it seems totally amasing.

I assume you've been there many times! My boyfriend is English, from Stowmarket, and has never gone, and has not desire to go. Me, i'm from thousands of miles away and want to go!!

It's funny. Since he is not a "tourist" none of the things i'd love to see inspire him! Oh well! He likes things over here that i most certainly dislike!!

Such is life!!

Mon May 06, 2013 1:48 am
Profile E-mail

Went on a school trip many years ago. Drove past it a few times. Don't tend to revisit places.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Watched a documentary last night which suggested that people lived on the site long before Stonehenge was built and they have found stuff from 7,000 BC. They also thought the site was a place that people went to be healed.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail