View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 am

Learning from other faiths 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Learning from other faiths
"World religions scholar Huston Smith offers an image for the various world faith traditions. He pictures them as a complex and beautiful stained glass window, refracting and revealing the pure divine light of God. Each reveals truth, goodness and beauty, and each has its own unique opaqueness as well.

Here are some of the things other religions have given me:

From Buddhism I have learned a sense of the interdependence of all life and the non-dual oneness of the contemplative experience.

From Hinduism
I have learned the richness of a mythology that is embracing and inclusive of the complexity of human experience, while honoring the divine in the midst of it all.

From Jainism
I have learned the ideal of Aahisma-- nonharming-- that challenges my violent and power-based cultural norms.

From Islam
I have learned the power of disciplined prayer and surrender to God through faithful daily acts of devotion.

From Judaism I have learned to delight in vital and living conversations with ancient holy texts interpreted through the centuries.

From Native religions I have learned the holiness of nature and the revelatory wonder that is the living breath of our mother earth.

From Zen I have learned the limitations of the rational.

From Catholicism
I have learned the power of the sacramental presence of the divine within the created. From Protestantism I have learned the passion of a personal relationship with God.

From Science and Humanism I have learned of the exquisite order and relationship of all creation and the responsibility of human beings for the welfare of this fragile earth.

From Christianity I have learned that every creature is blessed by the incarnation of God in Jesus Christ and that wherever there is "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, [or] self-control," there is God's Spirit. "There is no law against such things." (Galatians 5:22-23)"
http://www.explorefaith.org/other_religions.html

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:26 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Learning from other faiths
Beautiful! Even though I consider myself a follower of the Sanatana Veda Dharma, I do not limit myself to just my religion. I have always believed that every religion has something to teach me.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Hermano Luis wrote:
Beautiful! Even though I consider myself a follower of the Sanatana Veda Dharma, I do not limit myself to just my religion. I have always believed that every religion has something to teach me.

Hermano Luis

Just as every person out there can teach me something!

Ideas have no carbon footprint...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even in the Apostles' days, Christians were too apt to strive after a wrong unity and uniformity in outward practices and observations, and to judge one another unrighteously in these matters; and mark, it is not the different practice from one another that breaks the peace and unity, but the judging of one another because of different practices… For this is the true ground of love and unity, not that such a man walks and does just as I do, but because I feel the same Spirit and Life in him, and that he walks in his rank, in his own order, in his proper way and place of subjection to that; and this is far more pleasing to me than if he walked just in that track wherein I walk. Isaac Penington (1616–1679)

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:05 am
Profile E-mail

every religion can teach us something

Love, Life and energy to you

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that is true. I think everyone can teach something whether they are of a religion or not. That is why we are all important.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:20 pm
Profile E-mail

That's why I love the ULC and this forum

Love, Life and energy to you

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail