View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:30 am

Atheism 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Atheism
while we do have quakers in the us,some of the amish orders are the same way(although they are a minority).

i think the closest thing we have on a large scale is the unitarian universalist.

and where is spell check on here?

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have the Universal Unitarians in the UK too. In fact they are very close in the way they see things to the Quakers. However, with noted differences. Quakers do not have ministers, do not vote on decisions (preferring to report an agreed statement that encompasses everyone's view), are mostly pacifist, and I do not know where the UU's stand on having Atheist members (Quakers have not problem with this).

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 am
Profile E-mail

can't speak for the uk,but in the us,the uu's refer to ahteists and agnostics as non theists.and they are quite welcome,in most uu churchs.in fact,if i remember correctly,they make up about 30 %of the uu membership in the us.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is good news. Thanks Mark.
I find it an odd thing that people insist that people should believe in something that cannot be accurately defined or agreed upon and yet, many of the atheists lives show a spirit for love and compassion of people in a way that many believers cannot. So I ask, who if a loving God does exist (with varying definitions), seems to have that influence in their lives.
I have my definition of God but many will not agree with it but it works for me. Some believe in the whole hearted versions of God shown in the Bible or other book, which does not work for me. It usually goes along the lines of "God is loving" but if people do not follow the book to the letter, then your going to be punished for ever or killed in some nasty way. The idea of punishing a person for ever or killing people who do not follow something to the letter, does not sound loving to me.
It is great that Quakers and UU's can see beyond that (IMO).

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
I have my definition of God but many will not agree with it but it works for me.

I think many of us feel the same way. Not everyone understand God in the same way. Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa (1836-1886) had many intimate disciples, but each one of them understood God in a different way. He never had a problem with that. He believed that if you followed your particular belief in God, you would eventually reach the true understanding of God deep within yourself.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess if one is God then one maybe capable of being many things to many people. If God understands our inability to truly and fully understand God then, why would God get upset that people see God in differing ways.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:24 am
Profile E-mail