View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Gay Marriage 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Gay Marriage
The next Monarch might sort them out.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
I know about that Lannah. The trouble is that the CofE is trying to please two separate movements. There is an African movement that wants the church to be more conservative and there is a US movement who are more liberal. In the UK there is a mixture of the two and they find each other difficult. The Church is trying its best to keep both sides of the debate under one roof and prevent a split. They lost a lot of people to the Roman Catholic Church when the CofE voted for women priests and they are even more afraid of this debate. Personally I do not care if some churches have hang ups about gay marriage. I just strongly do not believe they should be able to dictate what the rest of us have to do. I do not believe in the mixture of state and religion. I am a liberal and I feel a pain when I hear that gay people are not having their love recognised by religious bodies that they may belong too. I am not gay but I do not believe the world is made up of the one size fits all mentality. We are diverse as human beings. I believe the CofE leadership in the UK has been a bunch of bigoted, moldy, stick in the muds, who are holding many people back from being able to express their faith.
The Quakers and the Unitarians and the Jewish Reformed groups and others have asked for the right to perform gay marriages but as of yet we have not got that right thanks to the bunch of men in black and white frocks with funny hats and sticks in their hands who have an strong influence on government.. :aargh:

Sorry but they touched a nerve with me.

Hmmm... and you guys are screwed, because it is not like you guys are allowed to vote about this type of issue. It is simply imposed. That is unfortunate!

IMO, I think if the CofE has to split, then it is time to split. That is the way it has always been. Look at Henry the VIII. But like i said, you guys (meaning the overall population of the country) has not say in these issues!

Thu May 16, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Sorry, meant to say " you guys have no say on the issue" ... where is spell check when i need it???

Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
The next Monarch might sort them out.

Do you think that is an actual possibility?

Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail

Yes.He's dropped several hints.At his coronation he wants 'Defender of faith' changed to 'Defender of faiths'.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope he can do something. Trouble is often they are tied into the system like we are.

I am no royalist but Charles seems to have a mind of his own. I remember when he spoke about it there was a huge cry from the CofE (Control of Everything) demanding he re-thought the issue or he would not be crowned by them and being crowned by the CofE is part of the British constitution. I may not like it but somethings are hard to change.

Maybe we should all take out US citizenship or something.

They call us the 52nd state and we found out the US owns a small part of the UK in Runnymede.

John F. Kennedy Memorial

JFK Memorial designed by Geoffrey Jellicoe
The British memorial to the assassinated President Kennedy was jointly dedicated in May 1965, by Queen Elizabeth II and Jacqueline Kennedy, prior to a reception for the Kennedy family at Windsor Castle. The memorial consists of a garden and Portland stone memorial tablet inscribed with the famous quote from his Inaugural Address:[6]
“ Let every Nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend or oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and success of liberty. ”
Visitors reach the memorial by treading a steep path of irregular granite steps, intended to symbolise a pilgrimage. There are 50 steps in total. Each step is different from all others, with the entire flight made from 60,000 hand-cut granite setts.[6] Landscape architect Geoffrey Jellicoe designed the garden;[7] sculptor Alan Collins designed and carved the stone inscription.[8] The area of ground on which the memorial is situated was given as a gift to the United States of America by the people of Britain.[2][9] (Though property ownership was transferred to the federal government of the United States, the area remains under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom.[10]) It is maintained by the Kennedy Memorial Trust, which also sponsors educational scholarships for British students to attend university in the United States.
In 1968 the 7-ton stone was damaged by a bomb during a time of anti-Vietnam war demonstrations;[11] it was later repaired by the sculptor.

I had once hoped that we would be allowed to do marriages there as it is part of the USA but it seems not.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm
Profile E-mail

51st state. Hawaii being #50 and the last in the collection despite being a British protectorate hence the state flag.Acquired incidently during the SpanAm war with the contrivance of sugar and newspaper barons.Manos Arriba. Cuba Libre.

Sat May 18, 2013 2:38 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just thought that "52nd state" or "51st state" was an expression for a strong contender for membership. Is this so?

Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 am
Profile E-mail

When Church and State come together as one, tyranny sets in. In the United States many Christians insist that the U.S. is a Christian country and they have tried over and over to insist that "Christian values" must be kept in the nation. Nevertheless, many states have accepted gay and lesbian marriages. I do not doubt that someday soon gay and lesbian marriages will be accepted nation wide. In Puerto Rico, USA, the Christian churches have raised a strong wall against those unions. But I know that the wall will fall. It is just a question of time.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile E-mail

The USA has 50 states. 51st State is a satyrical term to illustrate the Americanisation of the UK highlighted by the unequal extradition treaty as well as imported cultural symbols like Starbucks and McDonalds.The greatest irony is that we are handing over more and more control to Bruxelles.

Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 am
Profile E-mail