View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Gay Marriage 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Gay Marriage
The Society of Friends (Quakers) UK, held a yearly meeting with 1,500 people present as representatives from all over the UK. They all agreed without exception to recognise Gay marriages and called upon the Government to do the same.
I am proud to say this is the first UK church to completely endorse Gay marriage.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:49 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Gay Marriage
Bravo!

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed, Bravo!

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
The Society of Friends (Quakers) UK, held a yearly meeting with 1,500 people present as representatives from all over the UK. They all agreed without exception to recognise Gay marriages and called upon the Government to do the same.
I am proud to say this is the first UK church to completely endorse Gay marriage.

Hi Pete,

Have any Gay marriages actually taken place in the UK? Are they recognized legally? Here in the US it varies by State. Some state allow and recognize them, others do not. So couples will travel to the state that allows it and get married there.

Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a thing called a civil partnership for gay and lesbian, but not a religious ceremony. The problem with the UK is that Church and state are mixed and up till now the Cof E has been stopping everyone else from carrying out Gay marriages. I hope it will change but I just do not know. I think its unfair that one church can stop another church who believes in gay marriage but that is the state of things at the mo.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
There is a thing called a civil partnership for gay and lesbian, but not a religious ceremony. The problem with the UK is that Church and state are mixed and up till now the Cof E has been stopping everyone else from carrying out Gay marriages. I hope it will change but I just do not know. I think its unfair that one church can stop another church who believes in gay marriage but that is the state of things at the mo.

You want to know something REALLY ironic!!
The church that descends from the COE, here in the US is the Episcopal Church, it is part of the Anglican Church, of which COE is also a member.
BUT, here in the US, the Episcopal church allows gay people to be vicars. They are also allowed to perform same-sex marriages (as we call them here) in the states that permit them.
I also think that they allowed women to be ordained before the COE.

The service is VERY similar!! Both are liturgical and the architecture of the churches is very similar too!

Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know about that Lannah. The trouble is that the CofE is trying to please two separate movements. There is an African movement that wants the church to be more conservative and there is a US movement who are more liberal. In the UK there is a mixture of the two and they find each other difficult. The Church is trying its best to keep both sides of the debate under one roof and prevent a split. They lost a lot of people to the Roman Catholic Church when the CofE voted for women priests and they are even more afraid of this debate. Personally I do not care if some churches have hang ups about gay marriage. I just strongly do not believe they should be able to dictate what the rest of us have to do. I do not believe in the mixture of state and religion. I am a liberal and I feel a pain when I hear that gay people are not having their love recognised by religious bodies that they may belong too. I am not gay but I do not believe the world is made up of the one size fits all mentality. We are diverse as human beings. I believe the CofE leadership in the UK has been a bunch of bigoted, moldy, stick in the muds, who are holding many people back from being able to express their faith.
The Quakers and the Unitarians and the Jewish Reformed groups and others have asked for the right to perform gay marriages but as of yet we have not got that right thanks to the bunch of men in black and white frocks with funny hats and sticks in their hands who have an strong influence on government.. :aargh:

Sorry but they touched a nerve with me.

Wed May 15, 2013 10:26 am
Profile E-mail

the quakers are like that :clap:

Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail

I refer the congregation to my previous posts.

Thu May 16, 2013 7:19 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think we agree on that one Zen. Marriage by the state and blessings if you want by whatever you choose afterwards. The CofE are a bunch of control freaks (IMO).

Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am
Profile E-mail