View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:16 am

Electric Cars - Good or Bad 

Are electric cars more environmentally friendly?
Yes 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 5

Electric Cars - Good or Bad 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Electric Cars - Good or Bad
Are they actually good?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Electric Cars - Good or Bad
I like the idea of being environmentally friendly but they are not easily charged, limited in distance, and very silent runners. I nearly got run down by one. It made no noise and was on me before I knew it.
I just wonder how environmentally friendly they are. As I understand it, it takes incredible amounts of power to produce electricity. About 40% is converted in to electricity. Still it may cut down some of the pollution and that has to be a good thing (imo). Trouble is, will that ever convince petrol heads like Jeremy Clarkson. I believe he drinks a gallon before he goes to sleep and another gallon with his cornflakes.

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
I like the idea of being environmentally friendly but they are not easily charged, limited in distance, and very silent runners. I nearly got run down by one. It made no noise and was on me before I knew it.
I just wonder how environmentally friendly they are. As I understand it, it takes incredible amounts of power to produce electricity. About 40% is converted in to electricity. Still it may cut down some of the pollution and that has to be a good thing (imo). Trouble is, will that ever convince petrol heads like Jeremy Clarkson. I believe he drinks a gallon before he goes to sleep and another gallon with his cornflakes.

Exactly! Electricity is produced by burning raw materials, can it truly be environmentally friendly?

I'm not exactly sure.

I'll stick with my little Corsa for now with the EcoTec engine.

Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:36 pm
Profile E-mail

When the fuel does finally run out they will have to dust off Tesla's books on zero point energy.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:46 am
Profile E-mail

My son is a mechanic.

This is his take on it:

Electric cars use up electricity from the power plant. So you are simply replacing one type of dirty fuel (gasoline in the US) for another type of dirty fuel.

But, I will tell you this, I work at the Fiat of Austin Dealership, and our Fiat dealership does not sell electric Fiats.

Last week a young lady came in and asked if we sold electric Fiats.
I said" "Sorry, no we don't! Only California and the New England regions do (both coasts)"

And she said: "Darn it! I have solar panels and they make more electricity than I could possibly use in a day, and I am wanting to get an electric car!"

But we get LOTS of sunshine in Texas.
NOT Chicago, rains there almost every day, and if it does not rain, it is overcast.

England might have similar issues to Chicago.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:42 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lannah wrote:
My son is a mechanic.

This is his take on it:

Electric cars use up electricity from the power plant. So you are simply replacing one type of dirty fuel (gasoline in the US) for another type of dirty fuel.

But, I will tell you this, I work at the Fiat of Austin Dealership, and our Fiat dealership does not sell electric Fiats.

I said" "Sorry, no we don't! Only California and the New England regions do (both coasts)"

And she said: "Darn it! I have solar panels and they make more electricity than I could possibly use in a day, and I am wanting to get an electric car!"

NOT Chicago, rains there almost every day, and if it does not rain, it is overcast.

I think that is true but you can keep the winters. Its bad enough here but I understand Chicago is colder.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:38 pm
Profile E-mail

I was once on a train from Glasgow to London, an electrified route, and I overheard a conversation between an elderly woman and her adult daughter. The older woman said something about the train and her daughter said that it was electric. "Look, you can see the wires over the other track".There was a pause, then the mother said,"Where do they plug it in"?

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 pm
Profile E-mail

LOL!
In Chicago the actual train tracks are electrified.
If you step on them you are zapped into the afterlife!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:02 am
Profile E-mail

Third rail. Not the running rails. As it is DC it doesn't arc, you have to come into contact. AC will arc 2 or 3 feet. Which is why it is suspended overhead. Most of the lines in the south east are 3rd rail.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:57 am
Profile E-mail

Lannah wrote:
My son is a mechanic.

This is his take on it:

Great point! I think that's true.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail