View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:30 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Rainwater 
Author Message
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am
Posts: 179
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Rainwater
Does anyone here collect rainwater?
If so, how and what benefits do you find?


Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 2605
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
Its good for the garden. I do not recommend saving it for drinking purposes as it will quickly become contaminated with microbes if not treated. You may drink it straight from the sky. It is very slightly acidic from the combination with carbon dioxide. I do not see much other benefits over tap or spring water except it is free if you do not tell the water board.


Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 pm
Posts: 333
Location: Shropshire
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
I collect rainwater to use on my indoor plants and also on my sapling trees before planting outdoors.

Storm water is a different kettle of fish. I shall do an article on it and post it in The Covenstead thread. :grin:

_________________
Absit invidia.


Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am
Posts: 179
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
Califer wrote:
I collect rainwater to use on my indoor plants and also on my sapling trees before planting outdoors.

Storm water is a different kettle of fish. I shall do an article on it and post it in The Covenstead thread. :grin:

That'd be great.

I have often thought about it, I know it needs treatment ideally if stored for a while as Pete has said.

It'd save on water bills for the garden; we have a large multi layered garden and saving rainwater would be great in the sunnier days, whatever they are. :grin:


Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 pm
Posts: 333
Location: Shropshire
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
The main thing about keeping rain and storm waters is to store them in the dark. This helps to keep down algae blooms and plant life from taking over. A water butt is a great way of saving water for garden use.

_________________
Absit invidia.


Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am
Posts: 179
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
Califer wrote:
The main thing about keeping rain and storm waters is to store them in the dark. This helps to keep down algae blooms and plant life from taking over. A water butt is a great way of saving water for garden use.

Good advice, I never thought of keeping the buts in the dark.
Ideally they ought to be out of the open whereas leaf matter etc cannot access the buts...save in extensive cleaning.


Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:56 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 2605
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
If you want to drink it you can get water sterilising tablets from some chemists. They use to sell them for people who went abroad or drank spring water. However, I have drunk spring water with no affects. whoooaH! the green men are after me, :)


Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:29 am
Profile E-mail
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am
Posts: 179
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
Pete wrote:
If you want to drink it you can get water sterilising tablets from some chemists. They use to sell them for people who went abroad or drank spring water. However, I have drunk spring water with no affects. whoooaH! the green men are after me, :)

Haha :lol:

Thanks for sharing that Pete... :thumbs:


Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:54 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 pm
Posts: 2605
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
When I was younger I used to go on many a long walk and flowing spring water was always a welcome sight. Just got to be careful of sheep parasites. It was cold and refreshing.


Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:40 am
Profile E-mail
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am
Posts: 179
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Rainwater
Pete wrote:
When I was younger I used to go on many a long walk and flowing spring water was always a welcome sight. Just got to be careful of sheep parasites. It was cold and refreshing.

True...Don't see much like that around us.
Sounds good though. :thumbs:


Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.