View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Should Christians try to define God? 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Should Christians try to define God?
I do not think that any book sacred or secular will ever be able to define God. Nevertheless I think that "Exodus" in the Jewish TANAKH gives one of the best descriptions of God: "EXISTENCE".

When Moses supposedly talked with God in the Mountain and God tells him to go to Pharaoh in order to set His people free, Moses then essentially asks God, "What is you Name?" The answer that God gives is philosophically interesting: "Ehyeh-Asher-Ehye" (Exodus 3:14). The meaning of thos words are: "I Am That I am" or "I Am Who I Am" or "I Will Be What I Will Be" or simply "I Am". In Sanskrit the word "Sat" is essentially "Truth" or "Existence". So I would say that God is "What Is". Or we could simply say "God is what is Not". And we could go on and on like that, and never reach an answer.

I believe in God, but in reality what I believe in is a concept that I have created of God. That is not God.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail

The Is is Life, Love, the magnificent IT at the center of your being.
The Is does not recognise the limitations of spacetime, nor does it recognise your sorrows, fears, or beliefs.
It does not see you as an upright biped on the surface of a third planet from a little sun at the edge of a small galaxy of an insignificant universe sandwiched for a moment between multiple trillions of other universes.
It sees you reflecting Itself, and allows you the absolute freedom to do anything you wish, except to die.

R Bach.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:43 am
Profile E-mail

They can and they do, but to me it is a pointless excersise.

The Christian G_d is a creation of man, an extension of the imagination and a projection of the ego. The G_d of the Old Testament would fit in well with the current flock of psychopaths otherwise known as politicians. In fact the Christian G_d would be out of its depth! Obama with his drones is but one example! Blair has blood on his hands too, the blood of millions of innocent Iraqi's. The Bush twosome also have blood on their hands.

I see the Oneness of Everything. I don't see separation.
We all come from the One Source.
The Source cannot be defined.

We are the wave and the Ocean.

Everything is One.

Religion restricts freedom because you have to adopt the belief system of the religion you have chosen to follow.

A blade of grass is G_d as is a rain drop. All come from the One Source.

No one will define G_d. They can try! But they will only be defining a man made character, a fictional entity.

As the Tao says - the Tao which can be spoken of is not the Eternal Tao.

Its fun trying though! Pointless though and meaningless!

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:10 am
Profile E-mail

"Everything that groks is god." -- Robert A. Heinlein in Stranger is a Strange Land

But if one freely chooses to follow a particular religion, doesn't that mean there are things about it which the individual liked?

Some people join churches or cults because they wish to make themselves better than today's self, they see the group they're joining as something which will be of some perceived benefit to their personal growth.

Unlike forcible conversions, where one has little choice other than "die now!" or "Into the slave pen with you."

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail

the engine fuelled by fear is what drives people to join religions and cults - even their involvement in supporting a football team can be fear driven!

Its Bliss to have no beLIEfs!!!

All I know for certain is
I Am Consciousness having a temporary experience as Lenny!

I have a body but I am not the body
I have a mind but I am not the mind
I have thoughts but I am not those thoughts
I have emotions but I am not those emotions.

I Am nobody and I Am happy and to be no body.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:58 am
Profile E-mail

Whatever God is or is not, we should always have the freedom to be who we are.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I know what g_d is.....another concept!
another puddle which never evaporates
g_d is all about Man seeking a best friend
because Man foolishly believes he is alone.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:20 am
Profile E-mail

Should Christians try and define God?

Many do, many will study the bible and re study it and study it some more, many Priests will do the same and in doing so will neglect the life they have. God isn't definable, Infact any reasonable Priest will tell you that it is about you and your relationship with God that matters. Some will define God as love some as wrath, or as jealous.

All of these descriptions are used in the Bible and for many this is the definition they settle on, some would argue that Jesus was the best description of what God is like a being of infinite compassion, love and understanding who said "To love each other as we love ourselves". I have heard it said by an old Vicar of mine during confirmation class what is the overall message of the Bible and could he condense into a single thought.

He replied with the message of the bible is "To love each other as we love ourselves, everything else is commentary but its worth studying" I didn't know it at the time but he was paraphrasing from a well known conversation involving the Torah but it was this that always stuck with me. As for a definition of God, as a Christian I don't feel it necessary to define God, I certainly try as best as I can to follow the example of Jesus to be as understanding as I can to turn the other cheek.

But more than that I live the life I have as best I can, yes I have faith but I would not condemn anyone for not having faith or having a different faith, it being a decent human being that counts and religion by no means the only way we learn about being a decent human being. So my faith is important to me, I believe firmly in God and of Jesus but I'm not going to define God just as I'm not going to condemn those who have no faith or a different faith. If anyone is going to condemn someone it would be God. My faith does not give me any great power to condemn nor would becoming a priest give me any power to condemn.

The power that we do have is forgiveness is love is our compassion, the power to be decent human beings to one another, More than that ultimately to live the lives we have. I believe there is something more beyond this life but thats my faith, and even so I am in no great hurry to shuffle off the mortal coil, because I cherish the life I have. If we could all come together and just be better people to one another who's to say through such great acts of love that isnt God.

Should Christians define God?

I don't but does that mean other Christians shouldn't?

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 am
Profile E-mail

Recent discoveries with the double slit experiment reveal that for probability to become reality, a conscious observer must be present. All that quanta are is just packages of information. Like code. Code is meaningless until it is assembled into something coherent. By an assembler. The error correcting code found in computers is also found in the Universe at large.Welcome to the Matrix. There are no robots in charge. No aliens. Except like us. This is not a projected hologram. We are fractals of a greater consciousness. We are One. We create this stuff around us. Limitations are just programming rules. Which means you can't fly unless you get in an aircraft.
In The Beginning We Started The Program Running. And We Saw That It Was Not Bad. But We Saw That The Initial Boot Up Phase Was Faster Than The Normal Operating Speed. So We Left It As An Easter Egg. That'll Make Us Think, We Thought.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:23 am
Profile E-mail

Many religions have tried to define God, but none has been successful. Lord Buddha probably understood and decided not to enter into the discussion; so He has been accused of being an atheist. Does it matter? I do not think so. But Buddha said something that has been at the heart of many of the world religions:

"For hatred can never put an end to hatred; love alone can. Love alone can. This is an unalterable law" (The Dhammapada, verses 5-6).

I am trying to live this way. I wonder if I will succeed?

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next