View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Should Christians try to define God? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Should Christians try to define God?
:lol: Zen, I like that.

Yes, Peter was supposed to have chopped of the ear of the high priest's servant who were said to be arresting Jesus.
They knew how to deal with pushy ministers in those days. :lol:

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Profile E-mail

i was beginning to wonder if this thread was just between you and zen :tongue: .great posts so far.

in answer to your question,imo;everyone gets to define"god"in what ever way they perceive him/her/them/it to be,or not as well.in my case,i have no need of such dieties.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad to have you join us :grin:
I do find that people sometimes define deities with characteristics that resemble their own values. Hence, if they are judgmental then so is God, Angry then so is God. Loving then so is God.
I go with there is that of God in all and God is the mystery. In the same way an ant would find Human feelings hard to describe then so I believe God is to me. I am happy with the mystery but I know its not for every one. The description of God in the bible does not work for me. I mean why (IMO) worship a God who drowns people as in Noah's story, Kills people for forgetting to include some people in a census as in Davids time, writes some terrible laws, hardens peoples heart so he can punish others as in Egypt and wants to punish everyone who does not believe for ever. I just do not find much superior about that.
Some may say I am mad for believing but hey, it takes also sorts to make a world and I guess that includes me.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail

IMO.The Gods have always reflected the nature of human emotion.
They exist to be worshipped.The more they are worshipped the more they exist.
Where as the Is just is.
And this morning my toaster went to silicon heaven.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your toaster has broken? I do not know what I would do without toast. I almost live on it. I hope you get a good one to replace it.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail

To difine something is to put limits to it. To try to define God is an absurdity. We can explain how we understand God, but we mus realize that our explanation is not necessarily true... it is only an opinion.

In the Srimad Bhaghavad Gita, Arjuna (Man) tries to define God. Arjuna realizes that it is an impossible task and says. "Indeed, you alone know yourself, O Supreme Spirit" (Srimad Bhagavad Gita 10:15).

Even though the Srimad Bhagavad Gita gives us a series of hints about the nature of God, when we reach the last chapter we realize that Arjuna is only talking to Sri Bhagavan Krishna who simply happens to be a human representation of that Supreme Reality which is beyond all Names and all Forms. Even the word "God" is not God; that is only a convenient word that points to the Supreme Reality. (My Buddhist brothers and sisters would say , "A finger pointing to the moon".)

I believe God to be the Ocean of Universal Life that is the Begining, Middle, and End of everything and every sentient being. Nevertheless I know that even my "description" of God falls short, for at the end God is something more than just an Ocean of Universal Life.

To search for God is the goal of every mystic; the closer one gets to that goal, silence steps in and language ceases to be.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like that reply. Thanks Hermano.
I mentioned that Spong argued that to describe God with Human qualities and characteristics is a folly because God is not human. He goes onto say that any God that can create all is more advanced than any human understanding.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
I like that reply. Thanks Hermano.
I mentioned that Spong argued that to describe God with Human qualities and characteristics is a folly because God is not human. He goes onto say that any God that can create all is more advanced than any human understanding.

This is a great truth!

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 am
Profile E-mail

our preconceived ideas of what God is, only consist of the very tiny protion of what we know about the reality of Creation. We focus on ourselves to gain understanding of who HE is, when in reality ( IMO ), there is so much about Creation we are completely ignorant of..

Any conception that we may create to understand God will only confuse us when the next glimpse of HIM comes to us.

Ont the flip side of this debacle is the fact that our Creator resides within us as well as all about us. If one can focus on that bit of Him that whispers quielty to our spirit from an indwelling place, one can begin to have a PERSONAL understanding of who God is... answering those particular questions that only you will need an answer to... the only thing we need is patience, a heartfelt desire, and Faith ( Trust ).
Faith used to be the hard part, but with the ideas that are coming at us from the world's phyicists, maybe not so difficult anymore....

Christians specifically have so many preconceived notions which come to us from something other than wholesome sources, that for the Christian to have that " Peace which surpasses understanding " ( as i once wrote in a poem ) is a very difficult thing indeed. but if one truly seeks as we were directed - ignoring the orthodox voice which shouts that we must follow church doctrine, one may open their heart and experience the Divine in a way which answers questions... after all - do we need to define God to others, or is it enough to have our own understanding?

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very profound questions Brother Michael. Made a lot of sense to me. Thank you.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next