View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:17 am

2 Timothy 3:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: 2 Timothy 3:16
Ah! this is one of the famous Rabbio interjections without further explanation. I know that earlier books such as the law were accepted as scripture but the full Jewish Tanakh was not completed and all accepted as scripture until around 90 AD.

I have tried to avoid this topic because I know that there are some very strong feelings about it, but I think feelings are not the same as facts. When I wrote that I was a liberal Christian and posted it on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:53 pm. I am now agnostic and do not want to talk further on the topic. If you want to discuss it further then please go to the ULC.net. I am sure you will get a debate there. I am just trying to avoid it here. Thank you..
With respect I just do not care anymore. Sorry but there it is.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:22 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
Ah! this is one of the famous Rabbio interjections without further explanation. I know that earlier books such as the law were accepted as scripture but the full Jewish Tanakh was not completed and all accepted as scripture until around 90 AD.

I have tried to avoid this topic because I know that there are some very strong feelings about it, but I think feelings are not the same as facts. When I wrote that I was a liberal Christian and posted it on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:53 pm. I am now agnostic and do not want to talk further on the topic. If you want to discuss it further then please go to the ULC.net. I am sure you will get a debate there. I am just trying to avoid it here. Thank you..

What would the world be, my friend, without one of those "famous Rabbio interjections without further explanation"?

As you probably know, I have also not really posted on the ulc.net website for a very long time and do not see myself becoming active there again, although I probably will pop in from time to time.

My only purpose here was to correct a misperception. There is no evidence of a council at Yavne, the Hebrew name for the city. From we can determine, always subject to newer and better information, the canon was pretty well fixed by the end of the Second Temple, however the final, final fixing was probably not until sometime between 100 and 200 C.E.

As for your personal spiritual journey, I wish you well wherever it takes you.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

RabbiO wrote:
Pete wrote:

What would the world be, my friend, without one of those "famous Rabbio interjections without further explanation"?

As you probably know, I have also not really posted on the ulc.net website for a very long time and do not see myself becoming active there again, although I probably will pop in from time to time.

My only purpose here was to correct a misperception. There is no evidence of a council at Yavne, the Hebrew name for the city. From we can determine, always subject to newer and better information, the canon was pretty well fixed by the end of the Second Temple, however the final, final fixing was probably not until sometime between 100 and 200 C.E.

As for your personal spiritual journey, I wish you well wherever it takes you.

Thanks Rabbo for your reply. I know of the differences of versions of Deuteronomy in the dead sea scrolls. However my aim here is to not get into an intense debate. In fact I am sick of it. I do not want to delete the post because I may get accused of trying to win a debate by deleting the topic. However if all agree I will. Time moves on and I am not the same person I was. Kinda more interested Humanism than Abrahamic religions of all persuasions. If you want respect then please respect me. Either way it is good to hear from you.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Pete,

I think you should feel free to delete it.
I think we would all agree on this.

It will not hurt any of us if you do,
plus,
it will prevent our accidentally bringing up a topic that is no longer welcome.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:

Thanks Rabbo for your reply. I know of the differences of versions of Deuteronomy in the dead sea scrolls. However my aim here is to not get into an intense debate. In fact I am sick of it. I do not want to delete the post because I may get accused of trying to win a debate by deleting the topic. However if all agree I will. Time moves on and I am not the same person I was. Kinda more interested Humanism than Abrahamic religions of all persuasions. If you want respect then please respect me. Either way it is good to hear from you.

Feel free to delete my post or the entire thread.

I did not mean to cause you any distress and I am terribly sorry that I seem to have done just that. I did not notice that your post was from 6 years ago because all the responses were very recent. Again I apologize.

Just a thought from an old rabbi. Our lives are stories of change. Our views on everything - be it religion, politics, social issues, science, relationships - are shaped by what we learn, by what we experience, by what we think, by what we understand or strive to understand. Anyone who looks back over his or her life and sees no changes since childhood either is blind to those changes or hasn't grown over the years. (or as the ancient rabbis taught, the person who never asks questions is either a fool or dead.)

The thing is, our lives create kind of a giant tapestry. You can't simply excise parts of the past - whether thoughts, actions or written word - without damaging the structure and the design of the tapestry.

All we can do at any point in our lives is to try to be and live as authentically as we can at that point. We may not be who we were in the past, but there is no guarantee that we will be who we are now tomorrow. Our journeys may continue to take us to new places, but sometimes they bring back us to where we were sometime previously.

No debates, my friend, only best wishes.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:05 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow! Rabbio you have not hurt me. I have made a long journey from being brought up as a fundamentalist christian to finding out where I stand. The ULC has helped me challenge my previous indoctrination and find where I can stand and feel relaxed. Fundamentalism is hard to recover from and hence I have challenged it both in my own studies and voicing my opinion on ULC.net. I have moved a long way.
Now the post I made was part of my journey and I have moved on and would like to leave it as a mark of my journey. I do not want to get drawn into a deep and long debate like one does with say Dan. I also do not want to isolate any opinion on this forum. I fear debating what I think of the bible will do just that. I hope you understand.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:54 am
Profile E-mail

I used to ask questions. I don't now. I believe I am in the wrong time line and nothing matters anymore. Perhaps I am dead inside and all this is just bogus. A sham.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do not think your dead my friend. Your alive and kicking here :dance;

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 am
Profile E-mail