View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:14 am

2 Timothy 3:16 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: 2 Timothy 3:16
Hi Pete!!

Where are you??

Regarding 2 Timothy 3:16, for many of us,
the importance and the weight of the scriptural passage is the second part of it:

it is "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness”

For those of us that can see the valuable lessons presented in the Judaeo-Christian set of scriptures, the idea is that within these texts there are many lessons that allow people to become "more" Christ-like.
"Christ-like" as in the textual person of Jesus of Nazareth, not as in what historical or contemporary Christianity represents.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail

I can follow this as I would like to be more Dude like.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lannah wrote:
Hi Pete!!

Where are you??

the importance and the weight of the scriptural passage is the second part of it:

For those of us that can see the valuable lessons presented in the Judaeo-Christian set of scriptures, the idea is that within these texts there are many lessons that allow people to become "more" Christ-like.
"Christ-like" as in the textual person of Jesus of Nazareth, not as in what historical or contemporary Christianity represents.

I do not mind people being more Christ like. It is using the bible to correct and rebuke that I find difficult as there are parts of it I could never support. Mostly people try to be more Paul like rather than Jesus like. I think the bible and the church has made Jesus into some I believe he never was. With respect - each to their own..

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Well yeah. Without Paul there would be no Jesus. He was like the Rev Jim Jones and David Koresh of his time and place. Can you imagine convincing people to sign up to a belief system that was going to get you persecuted and picked on and shunned? That chap had charisma. No doubt about it. Jesus was a Jew. He was preaching to Jews. Paul created Christianity. Just like L Ron Hubbard created scientology.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
Lannah wrote:
Hi Pete!!

Where are you??

I do not mind people being more Christ like. It is using the bible to correct and rebuke that I find difficult as there are parts of it I could never support. Mostly people try to be more Paul like rather than Jesus like. I think the bible and the church has made Jesus into some I believe he never was. With respect - each to their own..

Do you feel that the good teachings that are presented in the Bible are not "good enough" to be used for correcting and rebuking bad behavior?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I said Lannah. Each to their own. I do not want to get into a debate with you. It is something I have studied for a long time. However, I would say that one can be very moral with out the correcting of the bible. When I look at the way people have used the bible to attack gay people and support slavery and fill people with guilt and isolate others in the past, I do not always see it as that moral. I have found some atheists with much better morals then bible bashers.

Lannah I like you as a person and I feel if we debate then things may not be the same. Please leave it as each to their own. Thanks.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
As I said Lannah. Each to their own. I do not want to get into a debate with you. It is something I have studied for a long time. However, I would say that one can be very moral with out the correcting of the bible. When I look at the way people have used the bible to attack gay people and support slavery and fill people with guilt and isolate others in the past, I do not always see it as that moral. I have found some atheists with much better morals then bible bashers.

Lannah I like you as a person and I feel if we debate then things may not be the same. Please leave it as each to their own. Thanks.

Sure.
Sorry! :surr:
Did not mean anything by it.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Lannah. Respect :thumbs:

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks Pete!

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:14 am
Profile E-mail

Pete wrote:
2 Timothy 3:16

The Old Testament was agreed to be scripture by the Jews in 90AD at the Council of Jamnia.....

Actually, no.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:09 am
Profile E-mail