View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 am

Liberal Christianity (A personal view) 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Liberal Christianity (A personal view)
One of the difficulties I come across with being a liberal is that I am often accused of not having any defined beliefs. It is true that I spend much time talking about what I do not believe, when I speak to biblicists who condemn people because the Bible says this or that. I admit I do not believe that the Bible is the word of God or that it is always true or that it does not have contradictions. For me Jesus brought the message that God works within people. God is spirit and Gods influence is spiritual. Being a Christian for me is not a state in which a person becomes but is a journey that leads to ever growing and learning. For me the spiritual influence in peoples lives is God in action. It is not about having an assurance that one has all the right beliefs. I have met many of all views of beliefs that do not reflect anything that I personally want to learn from and I have met many differing ones I have learned from. For me truth is about growing. It was a joke at one time to say "Oh Yes! and a man shall walk on the moon" but that has been ditched because it can happen. What is considered truth for us has moved on.
I believe that being a Christian is about recognising that of God within all people. Some relate to it and some do not. It is for the journey and not for the boasting that one is always right just because someone wrote something 2,000 yrs ago. I am aware that what I now believe may seem foolish to me in years to come but that is the nature of growth and a willingness to accept it.
As the Bible puts it :- Micah 6:8: “He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God"
That walk is ones journey and although it may be different for differing people spiritually I believe we share a unity.
Something despite our differences that we share. A path that we seek to find life's meaning for each of us and to share love for life, its meaning, and the importance of the spirit of love in our differing journeys and that of others.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:17 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Liberal Christianity (A personal view)
Well that's all very well but Joshua bar Joseph was a Jew preaching to Jews trying to get them to be more Jewish (as he saw it)
He wasn't the only one at the time,it was apparently a popular activity.Messiahs were ten a penny in them old days.
The circumstance of history however has led to everyone except Himself being mostly deleted and Him being fictionalised.
Religion is a mixture of science and social regulation.
For myself,I prefer to speak softly and carry a big stick.
And not being one to miss a good party,I'm booked into Valhalla when the time comes.

:cool: :yinyang:

Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:17 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am aware of the legend that is Jesus and the Political Jesus tool that the church made to serve their purposes.
Yet, he (IMO) brought about a change to a faith that saw itself as exclusive and a religion that many have found to be a blessing despite the church being a right pain in the neck in many ways. Sure I cannot sign up to the creed anymore than you can but I do believe there is that of God in all. Just not the understanding of God as the church has sold people.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:41 am
Profile E-mail

Religious liberals will always have problems with other members of their faith. Even among the most liberal of religions you are going to find the orthodox and the liberals. My brand of Sanatana Veda Dharma is very a very liberal interpretation of traditional Hinduism. The founding Guru of our tradition, Sri Shyama Charan Lahiri (1828-1895), rejected the idea of religious institutions. He wanted the teachings to be transmitted the old way, from enlightened teacher to student. But when the teachings arrived in the West, institutions were created with priesthoods, rituals, churches (temples), executive councils, and most important of all... orthodoxy! Now some of us have realized why the founding Guru rejected institution... let us return to the ways of the founding Guru... we are now branded as heretics!

Jesus the Christ -- like the great prophets before Him -- wanted to restore the essential teachings of the Torah and move away from the abuse of ritualized religion. He was persecuted and eventually murdered. A new institution grew up on His "teachings"... it also became ritualized and abusive... new reformers (liberals) appeared... they would be persecuted, some would be murdered, others imprissoned or removed from the Mother Church to eventually create a new church... and the cycle continues... When will it stop? I am going to risk an answer: When we finally understand that the Supreme is our Father/Mother God, and that there is a Light in our hearts that is a perfect reflection of the Divine.

Just an opinion!

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am reading a book called Human Givens (a psychology book) and one of the things the author mentions in the introduction is that enlightened people teach their finding and their followers turn it into dogma. Sadly this does seem to occur in many fields and faiths. Once the dogma is established they seem to erect walls to protect it and thereby stunt it from further growth and refinement. I know your a Hindu and I call myself a Christian but I would have no problems feeling I share a common faith with you. It is sad that such thoughts would be seen as herecy and treated with hostility by some.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile E-mail

"Tell us Master,how should we think for ourselves?" :Life of Brian.

:cool: :yinyang:

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

:clap:
Thanks Zen. I loved life of Brian.
Oh! heck, I said that and I guess that means we will have pickets on the forum like they did the cinemas.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:25 am
Profile E-mail

I still love the "Life of Brian." :thumbs: I was in an area of the United States that is known as the Bible Belt when the film came out for the first time, and I was unable to see it in the theater because of the demonstrations. Finally I was able to see it many years later in television.

Even though Puerto Rican are very open about religion, one film that created protests was "The Last Temptation of Christ" based on the book by Nikos Kazantzakis (1885-1957). The book was superb, I read it while I studied in the University. The book was banned by the Roman Catholic Church, and Nikos Kazantzakis was excommunicated by Greek Orthodox Church.

As liberal we are not loved by many. I guess that is why we are members of the Universal Life Church and search for each other. Isn't that a blessing?

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:00 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sure is a blessing. Just about every other church insists a person agree a creed or a set of beliefs. The ULC allows for a person to grow more freely in ways others can only dream of. I give an example :- the church of England has suffered splits over its ordination of women and its gradual (I say gradual but it seems more sluggish at times to me) broadening acceptance of gay people. It has also kicked out ministers who cannot sign up to much of the dogma of the past. All this because it tries to direct what every minister must think. The ULC is not guilty of this and none of this would be a problem.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:04 am
Profile E-mail

"Always look on the bright side of life!" - an excellent song and sentiment. I love those irreverent Python guys!

Ideas have no carbon footprint...

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:48 am
Profile E-mail