View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:36 am

Portable Circle 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Portable Circle
Well I would hope that they would be much less concerned about my transporting a wooden letter opener than a steel athame (dagger) via my checked baggage. I'm not sure how allowable even wooden craft items would be in a carryon bag.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

whitelotus9 wrote:
Well I would hope that they would be much less concerned about my transporting a wooden letter opener than a steel athame (dagger) via my checked baggage. I'm not sure how allowable even wooden craft items would be in a carryon bag.

I think the trouble is that nowadays the security industry has become slightly paranoid. I am not saying it isn't always justified, however, I cannot see any reason why wooden craft items should cause a stir.

Do you have any photos of your set?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I was at a wedding a while ago and one of my Celtic friends turned up in full Highland regalia.His dirk was a plastic fake as they are not allowed to hire out the real thing anymore.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had a friend (sadly now deceased) whose family emigrated to South Africa in the 60's. They returned to Scotland via Holland after feelings of home sickness. His Dad was wearing full Highland dress, including Sgian Dhu. This caused a stir whilst going through customs at Schiphol airport and he was detained for carrying a weapon.

Meanwhile, a baptised Sikh lady walked through with a ceremonial dagger strapped across her chest. Please do not misunderstand me. I respect the Sikh community and I am 100% behind their right to carry traditional ceremonial weapons; as I am with Highland dress.

My Friend's Dad's problem was that although it is a traditional part of Highland dress and so blunt it couldn't cut string; it was concealed in his hose (sock). Apparently he pointed out to the customs officials "Why are you stopping me? Hers is bigger than mine!" :lol:

Sat May 25, 2013 8:51 am
Profile E-mail WWW