View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:20 pm

From "The Dhammapada" 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post From "The Dhammapada"
"The Dhammapada" is a Buddhist text with sayings attributed to Lord Buddha. In the Introduction to the English translation of "The Dhammapada" by Eknath Easwaran the following is said: "It is a collection of vivid, practical verses, gathered probably from direct disciples who wanted to preserve what they had heard from the Buddha himself."

It is my favorite Buddhist text. I enjoy reading from its pages when I need spiritual inspirations. The first verse of the Dhammapada begins with the following teaching: "Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
Many times I have heard Christian preachers repeat over and over in one sermon: "We are sinners!" I dislike that phrase; it is so negative. I am not a sinner; do not get me wrong; I am not perfect. I am a fallible human being; I make many mistakes in life, and I am capable of correcting them.

Many persons who know very little or nothing about Buddhism insist that Buddhism teaches atheism. Let us be clear on this: Buddhism does not each atheism nor theism; true Buddhism does not ask anyone to follow this or that religion nor to abandon their particular religion. Buddhism does teach the following: "Hatred can never put an end to hatred; love alone can" (Dhammapada, verses 5 - 6).

Buddhism is a religion about changing our ways of thinking to improve our way of life; to be able to live a life of peace and serenity with other human beings. The Dhammapada is a manual for people of all religions or no religion to improve their way of life.

"Avoid all evil, cultivate the good, purify your mind: this sums up the teaching of the Buddhas" (Dhammapada, verse 183).

I will probably never become an Enlightened soul (a Buddha), but by studying the Dhammapada and making an effort to put its teachings in practice my life has improved in many ways.

I highly recommend ULC ministers to read and study the Dhammapada of Buddha. It is a good source for spiritual teachers.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: From "The Dhammapada"
i think you are more enlightened than you think mi hermano.remember,to be enlightened just means to"be awake".

"let wise ones monitor the mind,which is subtle,difficult to perceive,and restless.a mind well monitored brings happiness."

dhammapada 3:4(36)

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

rev mark wrote:
i think you are more enlightened than you think mi hermano.remember,to be enlightened just means to"be awake".

"let wise ones monitor the mind,which is subtle,difficult to perceive,and restless.a mind well monitored brings happiness."

dhammapada 3:4(36)

Thank you! Your words made a difference in my life today. Thank you again!

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:58 am
Profile E-mail

I'm into the whole brevity thing, so I just go with Kindness. Keep that as your watchword and you can't go far wrong.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:40 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I'm into the whole brevity thing, so I just go with Kindness. Keep that as your watchword and you can't go far wrong.

Absolutely! Must agree with you! :grin:

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:53 pm
Profile E-mail