View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Guru Purnima 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Guru Purnima
Toda is the Full Moon Day. Today the Sanatana Veda Dharma (better known as Hinduism) celebrates the Guru or Spiritual Teacher. Many in India venerate the Guru as if he or she were a divinity. I do not go to that extent.

Every religion has spiritual teachers, call them whatever you want. The spiritual teacher is that person who inspired us in many ways to follow the spiritual path.

My spiritual tradition was founded by Sri Shyamacharan Lahiri (1828-1895). He was a public servant under the British Raj in India. He was married, had two sons and three daughters. He was also a poet, a social reformer, an author of spiritual books. Even though he never founded an organization, many of his spiritual disciples have taken his teachings around the world.

Even though he was a Hindu, he taught students from every walk of life and every religion. He was a spiritual universalist, and he taught that "God was the God of all'.

But I had other spiritual teachers in Puerto Rico. One of them was an elderly man who became my in many ways my spiritual mentor. During his lifetime he had been a business man, a protestant minister, and a politician. In his later life he studied the Sanatana Veda Dharma and became one of the important leaders in the temple that I visited.

When I celebrated my fiftieth birthday, I asked him to give me an advice. He said, "Start all over." And I did. Iwas surprized how my spiritual life started to change. His name will never be found in any hall of fame, but in my heart Fernando Milán-Suarez is a very special spiritual hero.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Guru Purnima
I remember a Martin Luther Kings sermon.
""In this sermon King declares, “The great problem facing modern man is that the
means by which we live have outdistanced the spiritual ends for which we live
.”
Citing the biblical story of how Joseph and Mary had to return to Jerusalem
because they left Jesus behind after the Passover feast, King tells the congregation:
“If we are to go forward, if we are to make this a better world in which to live,
we’ve got to go back. We’ve got to rediscover these precious values that we’ve left
behind.
King urges them to rediscover the moral laws of the universe, to be
“honest and loving and just with all humanity.” He warns them not to substitute
possessions for God, proclaiming: “I’m not going to put my ultimate faith in the
little gods that can be destroyed in an atomic age, but the God who has been our
help in the ages past, and our hope for years to come, and our shelter in the time of
storm, and our eternal home.” "

http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/primarydo ... Values.pdf

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Thank you, Pete! That was very interesting. I think that was what Br. Fernando was trying to tell me. In other words, do not let your spiritual values become old. We have got to turn back to them periodically and try to understand them with a new light. I have started my trip all over many times. My illness has forced me to start all over again. Every time I advance in the path, I realize that I have left something behind. But when I turn back to get that something, what I discover is something new. Nevertheless, it was ther all the time. Someone said that true spirituality expresses itself as "ever new joy."

In these last few days, I have started my trip again. I feel as if there is a new light that I had never seen before.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

A brilliant post Luis. I could not agree more.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:02 pm
Profile E-mail