View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist? 
Author Message
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Toa Baja, Puerto Rico, USA
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Recently SRF monks visited the Puerto Rico center. I have been somewhat indisposed, and I was not able to meet with them. The older one gets, the harder it is to go places and "park" a car.

Hermano Luis

_________________
"To be united with the Lord of Love
Is to be freed from all conditioning."

The Tejabindu Upanishad


Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 1848
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
I didn't know Americans could park cars. I thought, watching movies and such, that you just kind of stopped at the pavement. Sorry if I'm wrong. You know what movies are like. And you do have wide roads. I found a thing on youtube recently about railways in Costa Rica. Vis-a-vis nothing at all. A level(railroad) crossing had been tarmac'ed over so the railway company just pushed a train over it. What a world we live on.

_________________
That's me in the corner.


Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 1848
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
I think I might spend some time being a monk. I seem fairly qualified. Just a thought.

_________________
That's me in the corner.


Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm
Posts: 899
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Zen Dog wrote:
I think I might spend some time being a monk. I seem fairly qualified. Just a thought.


:wink:
You do know that being a monk pretty much requires a lifetime where you really cannot express your opinions as they pop into your head, right?


Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm
Posts: 899
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Hermano Luis wrote:
Recently SRF monks visited the Puerto Rico center. I have been somewhat indisposed, and I was not able to meet with them. The older one gets, the harder it is to go places and "park" a car.

Hermano Luis



That I understand, and especially in the metropolitan area of San Juan and Santurce. That is a MAJOR bear, when it comes to finding parking spaces. When I was a girl there used to be a paying parking lot (car park) across the street from the temple, but I do not know if it is still there. if that got full, we'd have to park along the street and walk.
If you have mobility issues, it gets quite complicated!


Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 1848
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Well, that is your opinion. I am fairly sure that I have some predescesors. Still can't do the copy thing.

_________________
That's me in the corner.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm
Posts: 899
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Zen Dog wrote:
Well, that is your opinion. I am fairly sure that I have some predescesors. Still can't do the copy thing.



It's not my opinion.
I have an uncle who used to be a monk.
It's a very interesting, quiet, modest, controlled life.
It's hierarchical, also.
So it too becomes the "good old boys' club" with alpha dog, etc.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 1848
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
I think maybe you are thinking of Christian monks. Other belief systems, or none, are available. Do you know that Jain monks are naturist. They call it Skyclad.

_________________
That's me in the corner.


Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:48 am
Profile E-mail

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm
Posts: 899
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Zen Dog wrote:
I think maybe you are thinking of Christian monks. Other belief systems, or none, are available. Do you know that Jain monks are naturist. They call it Skyclad.



Do you believe in karma, rebirth and liberation?
Are you interested in practicing extreme asceticism and austerity?
Do you believe or acknowledge that all things, all elements, all animate and inanimate beings have a soul?


Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Toa Baja, Puerto Rico, USA
Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Was the Buddha and Atheist or a Theist?
Zen Dog wrote:
I didn't know Americans could park cars. I thought, watching movies and such, that you just kind of stopped at the pavement. Sorry if I'm wrong. You know what movies are like. And you do have wide roads. I found a thing on youtube recently about railways in Costa Rica. Vis-a-vis nothing at all. A level(railroad) crossing had been tarmac'ed over so the railway company just pushed a train over it. What a world we live on.


Puerto Ricans are terrible parking their cars, and old Puerto Ricans are "more terrible".

Hermano Luis, and Old Puerto Rican. :grin:

_________________
"To be united with the Lord of Love
Is to be freed from all conditioning."

The Tejabindu Upanishad


Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:43 am
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.