View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Buddha Purnima 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Buddha Purnima
Buddha Purnima or the Full Moon Day dedicated to Lord Buddha for many in the West it is simply the Festival of Wesak. We celebrate not only the historical Buddha, buth the Cosmic Buddha which is found in each and every one of us.

The story tells us that Siddhartha was a prince, he abandoned his kingdom and family, and became a wandering monk known as Gautama. Years later under a tree He would find Nirvana or Spiritual Enlightenment, and became Siddhartha Gautama Buddha.

Today and tomorrow we celebrate this great teacher. In some Buddhist countries they celebrate His birth, enlightenment, and death (or should we say transition).

Lord Buddha was not a Messiah in the Biblical sense, He was just a man. He faced life as a man and wanted to know if there was a solution to suffering. He searched for answers, and discovered that suffering was the resistance to change. Everything changes, He said. Every sentient being is subject to old age, illness, and death. No one is exempt.

Lord Buddha taught that there is a state deep within each and everyone of us that is not touched by suffering, it is a state of profound clarity that He called Nirvana. From Nirvana we can see the world with Understanding and Loving-Compassion. Everyone can reach this state by self-effort. It is not necessary -- He implied -- to believe in this or that Divinity, for the Ultimate Truth could not be monopolized nor manipulated by anyone.

As I celebrat the Buddha Purnima today and tomorrow, I am reminded that I can find Supreme Enlightened through my own effort, because Siddhartha Gautama found It. Lord Buddha is something more than just a religious symbol, He is a symbol of our humanity and inner divinity.

We are all Buddhas. May we all find Enlightenment soon in this life.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Buddha Purnima
Nice sermon Bro Lu but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that Himself shot through on his wife and kids. How about that for love and charity?
And as for me being a buddha, well apart from smaller ears and a longer beard, you may have a point.
Friday was Jedi day, May the fourth be with you. I celebrated by putting on my old karate gi and wellies and speaking enigmatically.

Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 am
Profile E-mail

Prince Siddhartha had a wife and a son. In reality He never abandoned them. He left them in the care of His father the King. When He found Enlightenment, He returned to them. His wife would eventually become one of the first nuns of the order, and Rahula -- His son -- also joined the monastic order. Both His wife and son joined the Sangha (the Order) voluntarily.

Anyone can find Spiritual Enlightenment in the intimacy of his/her home. Sri Shyamacharan Lahiri (1828-1895), the founding Guru of my sampradaya (spiritual tradition) was married, had two sons and three daughters, he was a civil servant, and found spiritual enlightenment. Lord Buddha would find out this truth after His enlightenment; during His time, it was the general belief that in order to find Nirvana you had to abandon family and go to the forest to meditate.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun May 20, 2012 5:03 am
Profile E-mail

I was reading about skyclad Jains the other day. Now that is freedom of religious conviction.
Pitty it's so sexist.

Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Zen Dog,

Why is it sexist? Please excuse my total ignorance!! :huh:

Sat May 04, 2013 4:52 am
Profile E-mail

A belated happy Jedi day again.Jains are sexist because women priests are not permitted to be skyclad (naked).They have to wear a sari.Men wear nothing.

Sun May 05, 2013 1:24 am
Profile E-mail

LOL!! That was an answer i NEVER saw coming.

Hmm... sounds like i wouldn't mind watching a ceremony!!!! :wink:

Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 am
Profile E-mail

Just google them.There is a fair amount of information.

Sun May 05, 2013 8:45 am
Profile E-mail