View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 am

More on the Bhagavad Gita 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post More on the Bhagavad Gita
The Srimad Bhagavad Gita is viewed by many Hindus as a sacred book similar to the Bible or the Qur'an. I have chosen the Bhagavad Gita (or simply the Gita) as my spiritual guide and companion. I will make an important observation, I do not believe that the Gita is the "Word of God" nor do I believe it to be a perfect book. In reality I do not believe that any book is the "Word of God" nor do I believe that the there is such thing as a perfect book.

Like the Bible and the Qur'an, the Gita is a theistic book. It is an allegorical dialogue between man (Arjuna) and God (Sri Krishna). I have been reading this dialogue for some fifty years now. During that time the Gita has served as my very special guide and friend.

Unlike the Bible, the Gita is not the story of a people and their God. It is more the story of a man (any man) and God. In the Gita we do not find the story of Creation, but we are reminded that God created the Universe. We are not told in the Gita if man appeared on Earth before woman or if it was the other way around, but it reminds us that in the heart of every sentient being we can find God. Even though the Gita offers us advice on how to live it does not offer us anything like the Ten Commandments, but it constantly reminds us to love God and to lead a live devoid of the sense of "I, me, and mine".

When I started to read the Gita, I was somewhat shocked by the fact that the it was revealed in the middle of a war. I asked myself, "Why would God reveal a divine truth in the middle of a war?" It took me some time to realize first that it was an allegorical representation of the spiritual conflict that we all have to go through when we are searching for spiritual enlightenment. Secondly I realized that I live in a world filled with many conflicts, and it is in this world that I have to find God. Many men and women have found God in the middle of a great war. We can not hide from the many conflicts that we face in life; God can be found (and must be found) as we battle with the different conflicts of life.

The Gita has been my lifelong friend. I do not always understand the message behinds its words, but sometimes when I face certain difficult situations words of the Gita come into my mind and take on a specific meaning. The Gita and I have been together for many years, and even though I do not think that it is the Word of God, I believe that God speaks to me through the Gita.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: More on the Bhagavad Gita
Thank You Luis. :thumbs:

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail