View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 pm

My Brand of Hinduism 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post My Brand of Hinduism
Hinduism, like all world religions, comes in different forms. I dislike that word Hinduism. I call my religion Sanatana Veda Dharma or the Sanatana Dharma that is founded upon the Vedas. Sanatana Dharma has been called the Eternal Religion (it has no founder), or Peremnial Philosophy or Dharma. Buddhism can also be called Sanatana Buddha Dharma or the Sanatana Dharma as taught by Siddhartha Gautama Buddha.

The Sanatana Dharma as I learned it has its foundation in both the Vedic Upanishads and the Buddha Dharma. The Vedic Upanishads are theistic or should I say panentheistic, and the Buddha Dharma is non-theistic (I refuse to call it atheistic). The two systems are very similar and they depend on strong moral precepts, the contemplative life, and spiritual enlightenment.

The foundation of the Vedic Upanishads is found in the words of the Isha Upanishad, "The Lord is enshrined in the hearts of all. The Lord is the Supreme Reality" (Isha Upanishad, verse 1). The essence of the Buddha Dharma is found in the following words attributed to Lord Buddha, "Avoid all evil, cultivate the good, purify your mind: this sums up the teaching of the Buddhas. Cultivate the patience that endures, and attain Nirvana, the highest goal in life" (Dhammapada, verses 183-184).

In my version of the Sanatana Dharma there are no hereditary social classes, women are treated with dignity and the equal of men, temple worship is not mandatory, and anyone who has true devotion for the Supreme Truth (God) can performa any of the "pujas" (religious ceremonies). Any man or woman can be considered a Brahmin (minister priest), but they mus live according to Dharmic Law: their responsibilities are self-control, tranquility, purity of heart, patience, humility, learning, austerity, wisdom, and faith (see Srimad Bhagavad Gita 18:42).

This Sanatana Veda Dharma is my Hinduism.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

"To be united with the Lord of Love
Is to be freed from all conditioning."

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail