View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am

In My Library 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post In My Library
I have a small library that has books on different subjects. One of my favorite books is "ALL SAINTS: Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for our Time" by Robert Ellsberg (ISBN 0-8245-1679-6-[pp]).

It is an interesting book with daily biographies of outstanding persons. It is essentially a Christian book, but it does contain biographies of some no so Christian persons. Nevertheless every biography is highly inspiring. It follows a Roman Catholic tradition of proclaiming the date of a saint on the day the saint died or was "murdered".

I enjoyed reading the biography of Gandhi (January 30). The author began the biography of Gandhi with an interesting quote:

"If I have read the Bible correctly, I know many men who have never heard the name of Jesus Christ or have even rejected the official interpretation of Christianity who will, probably, if Jesus came in our midst today in the flesh, be owned by him more than many of us" (Mohandas K. Gandhi).

Gandhiji had a great admiration and love for Jesus Christ, but he was always a devout Hindu. This small biography of Gandhi in a way is not just a tribute to the Mahatma, but a critique to modern day Christianity. It is interesting how Gandhi saw strong passive resistance into the life of Jesus Christ; he was able to see in the life of Jesus Christ not just a religious belief, but a way of life based on pacifist views or "ahimsa". Let it be known that "ahimsa is at the heart of Hindu and Buddhist moral teachings.

If every minister-priest in every religion could turn to the book "ALL SAINTS" they would discover an interesting source guide for their congregations. I always turn to it in search for inspiration.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: In My Library
I know that historically we have idolized Ghandi, but he used to beat his wife and children, and engaged in rather inappropriate sexual practices with his great-niece. I think a lot of these things were kept hushed in the past, but they have come out now. There are several books written on his problematic issues.

http://rev-elution.blogspot.com/2013/08 ... ws-of.html

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: In My Library
I am not out to defend Gandhi. I have read many of the negative things that have been said about him, but many who have written have probably never read what he said about himself. He was a man who feared many things. He was 13 years old when he married his wife (she was also 13). In those years there was no sex education in India (to be honest there isn't any still). Go to his "Autobiography" and you will discover a man that had serious problems with himself. He was a poor husband, and a terrible father.

I could go on and on, and say how terrible the man was, but in reality I do not have to, he already did it himself. When his niece was asked about "his dirty habits" (I am being sarcastic) she answered the person who was asking, "You would not understand."

Gandhiji never denied that he was simply a fallible human being. If I am not mistaken, he was given the title of Mahatma (Great Soul) by Rabindranath Tagore. Gandhiji was never confortable with that title.

Yes, Gandhiji was a little man; a little man with many faults who tried to make a great nation, and failed. Nevertheless he left us a dream, a dream of nonviolence, and he challenged us to make it come true.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:18 am
Profile E-mail