View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:49 am

We Grow; We Change 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post We Grow; We Change
Soon I will be 70 years of age. I have seen many things, and done many more. I have been married twice, I have a daughter and a son, and one grandson (now 10 years old). I have been a professional musician, a sailor in the United States Navy, and now I am Federal Law Enforcement Officer, and soon I will retire. Amen!

Nevertheless my hobby has been the religious life. When I was a small child, I wanted to see God. At a very early age, my father gave me a Kings Jame Bible. I was about 12 years old, and when I started to read it was not very interesting. I would eventually read it when I was older, but it did not make a big dent in my life. I found some nice things it left many questions. I would eventually start to read Hindu and Theosophical books, and I became hooked with the Advaita (non dual) philosophy of Hinduism. During my teenage years I read the Srimad Bhagavad Gita and it became my special friend. I have read the Bhagavad Gita many times, and I still enjoy its friendship.

At a young age I discovered a Neo Hindu Vedanta group in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and I joined the group and took initiation in its practice. Even though I continue to visit the group, many things in me have changed, but I enjoy their friendship. During those years I discovered the ULC, but I had not matured spiritually and I put it to one side.

My years in the U.S. Navy started the change my outlook of the world. I got to meet different people of different religions. I worshiped with Jewish people, with Buddhists, and I got to see and listen to those of different religions. I read many interesting books, and my view of God began to mature.

When I got back from the U.S. Navy, I went back to the University and finished a Masters Degree in Translation. I also increased my lectures of different religious text. I read the Qur'an, Gnostic gospels various translations of the Bible in English and Spanish; I also read writings of mystics of different religions. Now my view of God expanded in such a way that now I felt God as a vast Cosmic Ocean of Life. At these moments, the computers and the internet began to shine, and a new world was opened for me. Once more I discovered the ULC and new voices worldwide that expanded my spiritual horizons.

I sill believe in God, but now God is a vast Ocean of Life who manifests in different manners. Once more Advaita Vedanta of the Hindus came to me in a new light. It was not just Hinduism, it was the science of life manifested everywhere.

I have changed. I love freedom. I love freedom of thought. My goal is to expand my Understanding, my Love, and my Compassion in such a way that I could touch all sentient being and participate of their joys and pains.

I will be 70 years old, I am not perfect, and I have enjoyed every moment of my life.

OM Peace Amen!

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage
Toa Baja, Puerto Rico

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:10 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: We Grow; We Change
Nice words Lu but you wouldn't want my pain. And you're still a cop at 69! Ours retire at 50. It's the only reason my mate joined when he left school.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:-

To laugh often and much,
to win respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch, or a
redeemed social condition;
to know even one life
has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

I believe you have so many things to add to this and achieved so much. I hope you find your eventual retirement full of blessings my friend.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail

I really enjoyed your meditation Luis! And you are 70 years YOUNG!! :clap:

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:54 am
Profile E-mail

This is lovely, and SO true!!! It makes you think about the type of legacy we want to leave in this world!

Pete wrote:
I love the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:-

To laugh often and much,
to win respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch, or a
redeemed social condition;
to know even one life
has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

I believe you have so many things to add to this and achieved so much. I hope you find your eventual retirement full of blessings my friend.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:55 am
Profile E-mail

Pete, I loved those words by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:37 am
Profile E-mail