View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:32 am

The Kewy Word Of All Religions 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post The Kewy Word Of All Religions
If you follow any religion there is a key word that is common to all religions. That word is "Faith". The Christian teacher Paul gives an interesting definition about faith. In said definition he says the following: "it is the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1).

When I think about faith I immediately think of the phrase "I believe..." For example, I believe in God; but I have never seen God nor do I have proof that God exists. How do I know that my belief is true? I don't! That is why I say "I believe in God". What I am saying is, "I do not know if God exists, but I have chosen to believe that God exists."

Buddhism, for example, does not postulate the existence of a Supreme God. In its teachings Buddhism talks of different gods, but they are just none eternal beings that live in some celestial place, they might have some importance or not, but they have no importance for a sincere Buddhist. In Buddhist teachings there are three important things: Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha (the Buddhist community). The Buddhist will say something like this:
"I take refuge in the Buddha; I take refuge in the Dharma; I take refuge in the Sangha)." What the sincere Buddhist is saying in reality is: "Because I believe that Buddha reached enlightenment (Nirvana) and that His teachings are found in the Dharma He left for all and in the Community He left to propagate His teachings, I believe that I can reach the Blessed Nirvana." The Buddhist is expressing his faith in Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. The Buddhist believe this, but has no proof that it is true.

Christians have faith that Jesus was born of a virgin, taught a special teachings, died on a cross, and was resurrected from the dead. They believe that what they have learned about Jesus Christ will take them to salvation. They believe, but have no proof.

Muslims believe that Mohammed received from God a special teaching that will take them to a celestial paradise after death. They believe, they have no proof.

Hindus believe the teachings of the Sanatana Dharma as has been revealed in the Vedas, they will be liberated from continuous reincarnation and reach a state of bliss after dying.

If you go into every religion it is Faith in what is taught in that religion what is eventually going to liberate the devotee into some kind of eternal joy.

Whatever our faith is, it has no proof. We are simply convinced that it is true without proof. Gandhi believed, Mother Teresa believed, Thich Nhat Hanh (a Buddhist monk) believes, the Dalai Lama believes... none of them had proof.

I believe, I have no proof.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:09 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The Kewy Word Of All Religions
Fair enough. I however, suspect many things but I have no faith in anything. Or anyone come to that.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:11 pm
Profile E-mail

I really enjoyed your pondering!
One of the phrases that leads my life is "I walk by Faith, not by sight"!
So I really enjoyed your sharing of your thoughts!

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:16 am
Profile E-mail

Watch out for pot holes.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail

LOL!
There ARE lots of potholes in my life!!
Surprisingly, I'm surprised I've survived several of them!

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Fair enough. I however, suspect many things but I have no faith in anything. Or anyone come to that.

Zen, I still think that you are great. And I hope that when I retire (soon), I can get to the United Kingdom and hug you as my brother.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:25 am
Profile E-mail