View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:04 am

Teachings of My Father 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Teachings of My Father
My father was a good man. We were good friends. We liked to talk about theological concepts. Both my parents were Roman Catholics, but my father was also a Freemason (so am I). My father had a very stern appearance, but he had a great sense of humor.

I heard say many times that God alwas answered what he asked for. God would either "YES!" or "NO!" People would usually laugh when he would say this because he would say in a very humorous way. But my father was saying something very serious: God is not a genie in a lamp or a wish fulfilling tree.

Many time he would also say that to believe something is to admit that one does not know if that something is a reality or not. He wouldl say that if one believes in God, one is admitting that one does not know if God exists or not. I grew up hearing my father say this many times. Essentially he was saying, "Faith is an act of not knowing." Recently I read this same thought from Jorge Begoglio (Pope Francis).

In a dialogue between Bishop Bergoglio and Rabbi Abraham Skorka (both Argentinians), the then Bishop Bergoglio states that both the man who says "I believe in God" and the man who says "I believe that God does not exist", are admitting that their knowledge is limitted, and that in reality they do not know the Truth. Bergoglio says that both men are expressing their humility. I was impressed.

I strongly believe in God. There are some Atheists who inist that those who believe in God have the obligation of proving the existence of God. I say "No!" I can not prove the existence of God. That is why I say, "I believe!" That of faith, whether a positive or negative act of faith ("I do not believe"), is an act of humility. For the greatest act of humility is being able to say, "I do not know".

Teresa María de Jesús Ortega, a Roman Catholic nun, who soon will be on the path to sainthood, used to say "God, God, God, I love you, but I do not understand You..." This is -- in my understanding -- a profound level of faith and humility.

I feel closer to my father, for now I realize that he in truth was a man of faith and humility.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 am
Profile E-mail

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Teachings of My Father
It is said that Socrates is the wisest man who ever lived because he said he knew nothing.
The White Queen (Through the looking glass and what Alice found there) on the other hand could believe three impossible things before breakfast.
Fraternal greetings Lu.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 am
Profile E-mail