View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 am

The Yorkshire dialect. 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post The Yorkshire dialect.
In Yorkshire people often refer to people they like as "our kid" or kiddo". I have sometimes seen this raise a few eye brows in some people from other parts of the country. They may respond with a rebuff of "who are you calling a kid" or "your not my father" or "I am not a kid".
With a little knowledge of the Yorkshire dialect a new understanding is found.
IN Yorkshire a kid is often a child but it is also a buddle of sticks that are very tightly bound together and often feed the furnaces of bakeries. In a similar way the sticks are bound together is how your being described when someone says "our Kid". It means that the person feels akin to you, that you are one of us, or that they are proud of you. With a little knowledge the dialect what seems to be an insult of calling one a child is actually a great complement. It means that they feel close to you and are proud to associate with you.
Sometimes what is heard and what is being said are two very differing things.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 am
Profile E-mail

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: The Yorkshire dialect.
A butty is a towed (unpowered) narrowboat.So called because it buts up alongside the powered boat when negotiating locks.This word evolved into buddy after crossing the pond and became socialy applied to people.In a similar way as mate and to mate.In the west country "my luvver" has no sexual connotations when used between two men.When social history and etymology are lost,language becomes a minefield.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 am
Profile E-mail