View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 am

Spiritual Ancestors 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Spiritual Ancestors
Recently I was reading one of the many books my favorite Buddhist teacher -- Thich Nhat Hanh -- wrote. I can not remember which of his many books. He wrote something about our spiritual ancestors that made me stop and think.

I recognize Jesus Christ as my first spiritual ancestor. I was born into a Christian family. My first religious thoughts were within the Roman Catholic Church (RCC). I was babtized at a very early age as isthe tradition in the RCC. Even though during my early teen age years I turned away from the RCC, I never turned away from the teachings of Jesus Christ. Nevertheless, I will admit that I accept His resurrection as an allegorical or symbolic event not as a historical one. For the past fifty years, I have always studied the teachings of Jesus Christ from the Bible and other sources (The Gospel of Thomas and other writings).

I recognize Sri Bhagavan Krishna as my second spiritual ancestor. At the age of 14, I started to study theosophical writings that eventually led me to the Neo-Vedantic church were I did much of my spiritual training. At that moment, the Srimad Bhagavad Gita became my companion, and Sri Bhagavan Krishna became an important teacher in my life. I learned to see God in Sri Krishna, but I realized that Sri Krishna is a vast human symbol of spirituality. I saw Krishna guiding my life through the everyday battles of life. I became Arjuna with Krishna at my side. I learned to celebrate the Krishna Janmashtami in the same way that I celebrate Christmas.

I recognize Lord Buddha as my third spiritual ancestor. I have taken the Three Gloriious Precepts of Buddha. I was impressed by His freedom, and how He challenged the religion of His time. He found spiritual enlightenment by His own effort, and He let me know that I could do it also. He has taught me to challenge those who say that I am wrong, but I trust the Buddha, for He lives within me.

They are my three spiritual ancestors. From them I receive Understanding, Love, and Compassion. They have walked by my side for many years. When I have strayed from the Path, They have been by my side, and when I have fallen They have helped me to get on my feet again. They have been alive in Their teachings. I am glad that They have been with me all this time.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 am
Profile E-mail

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Re: Spiritual Ancestors
That's nice.As for me I just abide and take it easy.Occaisionaly I get a bit uptight but it passes.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:39 am
Profile E-mail