View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:49 am

Book Burning 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Book Burning
I consider myself a Universalist. I was trained spiritually in a Vedic tradition; nevertheless, I always insisted on independent study. I believe that everything that has been written belongs to all of humanity. I have been able to read many of the sacred books of mankind, they have taught me the different ways that humanity has approached spiritual understanding. These books have taught me the similarities and differences between the different spiritual traditions.

It saddens me when I hear in the news that copies of the Qur'an were desecrated in a U.S. military base in Afghanistan. I have no way of knowing if such act was intentional or not, but the act one way or the other was an act of ignorance. The Qur'an is not just the Holy Book of the Muslims, it is one of the spiritual treasures of humanity. It is my opinion that an act against the Qur'an or against any of spiritual book of mankind is an act lacking spiritual sensibility.

I do not believe that the Qur'an or any other book is the Word of God, but I do believe that in every one of the sacred books of mankind we find a testimony of spirituality. I do not even believe that any of these books are perfect, they are -- in my opinion -- the literary creation of fallible human beings.

Book burning has been going on for centuries. It is the belief that by burning certain books the ideas found in them will be destroyed. Sadly to say that is not true. In the past ideas have been discarded to be rediscovered by later generations. Truth can not be destroyed. Any scholar will tell you that even ideas that have been proven wrong are still studied, for they show us how mankind viewed the world in the past. So books are preserved for they remind us of where we have been, where we are, or what our future might be.

I am a lover of world culture. I can not stand to see the destruction of the monuments of the past nor can I see the destruction of the written word which expresses the ideas and spiritual testimonies of our forefathers. It is sad to see how the Qur'an has become an instrument of political conflict and hatred by both the Muslim and the none Muslim communities. It is a shame that we can not study it to affirm our spiritual similarities, but must insist in using it to separate and promote hatred and ignorance.

Let us sherish the spiritual treasures of mankind. They belong to all of us.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Book Burning
Like you Hermano I do not approve of book burning and feel it is only designed to cause offence or insult another. I do not want to be associated with such things.
That said, I do not hold any religious book beyond the life of another human being and if it was choice of rescuing a book or a human from a burning building then I would go for the human being first and only go for the book if it was safe to do so. Books can be reproduced, and people cannot. I think one has to have a perspective which I feel is sometimes lost in some fundamentalist groups.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it was probably intentional and designed to cause anguish. I read that they were doing this to the prisoners in Gauntanamo Bay as part of psychological torture.

A very saddening thought indeed

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Without wishing to be disparaging to anyone.From my perspective, it would appear that the New Roman Empire is as lacking in morality as the previous one. By degree that is.
The law of vested interest will always aid and abet justification.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:18 am
Profile E-mail

Hopefully some day mankind will discover that we are all members of the same family.

Hermano Luis

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hermano Luis wrote:
Hopefully some day mankind will discover that we are all members of the same family.

Hermano Luis

Amen my friend.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 am
Profile E-mail

Have any of you seen 'In the name of the rose'?
Inspiring and shocking in equal measure.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:50 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not me Zen.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:34 am
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
Have any of you seen 'In the name of the rose'?
Inspiring and shocking in equal measure.

I read a book some year back, "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. It was later made into a film with Sean Connery in the lead role.

A wonderful book, the film fell short.

The Tejabindu Upanishad

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm
Profile E-mail

What will they do when we all start reading Ebooks? :tongue:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 am
Profile E-mail