View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 am

Diabetes and food 

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Diabetes and food
Do any of you have any great recipes for diabetics to eat. This season coming up of Yule/Christmas or any other festival or celebration usually means indulgence and sweet things. I want to reduce my own sugar intake and yet still cook and produce lovely looking festival style foods. Has anyone on here mastered this ? Can you share recipes please?

Love, Life and energy to you

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Diabetes and food
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-cookbook.html
Seems like a good start. Its says its free to download recipes.

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks Pete. I keep looking. We did ok just one lot of sweets were given to us as a pressie which we are going through slowly. I didnt buy any last year or this. We have 2 boxes of matchmakers which I did buy...still unopened though out for anyone to nibble on. Food meal wise I think other than Christmas Day being large portions we've kept things fairly normal.

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:50 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes it can be hard if your diabetic and especially if your insulin dependent. Nearly all xmas stuff contains sugar.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:48 am
Profile E-mail

And . . . what isn't loaded with sugar tends to be largely carbohydrates which is soon turned into sugar inside your systems.

Apparently my glucose meter is about to be discontinued along with its test strips, so the Veterans Administration is going to be sending me a new meter kit soon.

Blessings, both Bright and Dark,
Ananta Androscoggin

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail

We've had an awful time lately. Before Christmas all hubby's meds turned up wrong. I thought I'd sorted it all then hadnt realised I'd made a mistake so last Thurs one of hubby's meds, metformin, had now run out. Quick call to the dr's I thought to get emergency prescription. Not so easy to do as I found out, the surgery said they must have a paper trail no longer can phone calls be used. I needed to get the pharmacy (who will take my call for meds) to order it and not me and mark it as urgent. ok so I do that and wait.....nothing Thurs nothing Fri hubby goes too high on Saturday so takes more of his other meds and hopes with me keep stabbing him to test his levels every so often. We ring today to be told by the surgery we did the script 9 days ago....wow I didnt ask til Thursday so thats four days prior ??? Ring chemist....no we have no prescription here. To and fro finally my daughter goes up to the chemist during her lunch break (she used to work there) and she gets the pills so by the time she gets home tonight hubby will finally be back on his correct meds and I can stop worrying and testing him. Plus he'll be able to eat more normally as I'd adjusted his food intake to try to keep his sugar level down.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm
Profile E-mail