View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Age of consent 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Age of consent
In Saudi Arabia there is no sex outside marriage. In Japan it is 13. In Europe it ranges between 14 to 16. (source the Daily Mirror) In the US it is between 14 to 18 depending on which state your in. The Uk is 16 for consent to sex and 18 for consent to marriage without your parents permission.
Now I am all for young people being protected, but what age do you feel is correct if you were in charge of setting a world consent.
Personally I am in favour of 18 but I know that is unrealistic and young people will explore much younger.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Age of consent
Very good question and not all that easy, while I would say in an ideal world make consent for both sex and marriage age 18 it is as you say not at all realistic. I think the age of 16 for sex is probably were it will stay for a good while. I turn 30 this year and have been very reflective on my past and my teenage years as of late.

I think 16 is probably the best compromise age you will get, teenagers will still experiment as you say, but the same could be said for drinking how many of us honestly from the UK broke the law by having an underage drink, or went to a pub underaged but because we may have looked old enough was served? I can raise my own hand on that.

But then I never greatly abused drinking, I was always taught to drink responsibly but was also aloud a small bottle of beer with a sunday roast from about age 8 (the little bottles of french Larger) it I think really helped in the way I viewed drinking, so there is something to be said if someone is old enough to consent to sex and the potential that brings with children (and as you point out Marriage with parents permission) then there is a case to be made about being able to drink.

So while the idealist in me would agree with 18, the realist in me say the current age of 16 should probably stand, because underage drinking is so often responsible for underage consent or even legal age consent that may result in unwanted pregnancy I really do think a better awareness on both sex and drinking should be made. Drinking should probably be treated more in line with the way it is in Germany and France and how I was raised with it, if the young people are aware and have a better awareness of just how powerful alcohol can be I think that would help greatly to.

As at the age and the way lots of people in the UK look at drinking, it can be hard for a teenager to grasp that everything in moderation works best, especially when a lot of people treat alcohol as this big deal when lets be honest its enjoyable (I enjoy a drink or two in various forms from wine, Cognac, Whiskey, Larger, IPA, Ale etc). Too many teenagers are brought up with it being made a big deal that the first instance they get to try it they do and they go overboard with it and it can lead to things not just sex, but illness. I had a friend who was raised with alcohol being made to be this big thing at 15 he went to a rave party and downed a bottle of clear Vodka he had never touched a drop before had no real idea what Vodka was or its strength he spent his weekend having his stomach pumped.

After this his parents began to have a much more frank and open conversation with him about alcohol, allowed him a glass of wine with dinner, at christmas or family gatherings would also let him experience different things, this friend became much more rounded and well informed about it and learned that moderation was best. When he did turn 18 we went out we got drunk but not to the point we needed the hospital. My point being his parent would be the first to say and did indeed do this with their younger Daughter.

They made sure that their Daughter was aware of Alcohol that while it was an adult beverage it wasnt this big thing and allowed a glass of wine at dinner and special occasions, when she turned 18 yes she got drunk but never to the degree we often can see people get drunk to. So I really do believe their is a lot to be said about a better awareness that needs to be given to our children one that is frank open and honest as opposed to be a lecture. But just my thoughts

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail

for some things the age of consent in the us is 18,21 for alcohol,and anywhere between 14 to(?)for sex.but keep in mind that you can still be charged with statutory rape,or contributing to the delinquency of a minor even tho it may be legal to have sex with them.

i don't think there can be a universal age of consent(although most countries use 18)as it would be ignored by most for various reasons.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

The fact that we still require regulations regarding these things highlights the more important fact that children are still having children. We may mature one day. Perhaps.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
The Uk is 16 for consent to sex and 18 for consent to marriage without your parents permission.

In Scotland the age is 16 for both with no parental consent required.

This is never going to be an easy question to answer. We need a minimum age for the protection of children.Zen said
Zen Dog wrote:
the more important fact that children are still having children.
and this is for various reasons. In a lot of ways I think 16 is too young, they say that children are a lot more mature nowadays. I think that if this is so they have also become more reckless. That is without mentioning the predation of minors by persons inflicted with the desire for pre-pubescent children.

I think that it should be 18 for consent, marriage and alcohol. I know that won't stop kids experimenting but at least some might take notice.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Well if you can vote at 18 and thats when people claim to no longer be a child then to me thats when the age should be set for marriage, sex and alcohol drunk outside the home.

Love, Life and energy to you

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Re: Age of consent
In my opinion, the idea of adolescence goes hand in hand with our contemporary attitudes towards young people having sex.

In Shakespeare's time, 13 year olds were considered adults. Not kids.
In the 1500s people married at the age of 11 or 12. People lived only into their mid-40s. Women to about 43 and men to about 42.

This actually means that the idea that people who are "tweens" (in their 10 - 12) or teens (13-19) should not have sex goes against most of human history.

My grandmother, who is long dead now, married at the age of 13.
She had her first baby at 14.
She had a baby every 2 years until she was 38.
Of her 12 children 10 lived to adulthood, 2 died as infants.
She was married to my grandfather her whole life, and she died at the age of 83.
The big difference in her life was that in the 1500s and in the middle ages, she would have died at 43 and she would have left four children orphaned, for all the other ones would have been considered adults.

I'm not promoting sex amongst the young ones, but I am aware that it is a biological drive that is real,
and in the past,
since people married EARLY it gave the "impression" that there were no "teenage pregnancies".
But there were teenage pregnancies, lots of them, there always have been.

My grandmother, a married woman, had 3 teenage pregnancies. She was born in the late 1900s.
My mother married at 18, and had me at 19.
My ex-mother in law married at 18 and had my ex-husband at 19. Both women were born in the 1940s.

My son and my daughter in law had my grandson when they were 18. And that's in the 21st century!!!!! They were born in the late 1980s.
So not much has changed, if you really think about it.

What's changed is that now, because we do not allow young people to marry before a certain age, those "teenage pregnancies" happen outside marriage.

I think adults having sex with young ones should always be illegal, because that's exploitation.
But a whole bunch of naturally and biologically horny teenagers together is a recipe for making more babies.

In the past, they would have been considered adults and would have been responsible. People had less to do, no radio, no tv, no computers, no cell phones.
They spend time working (outside and inside the home) and took care of their kids.
No one had time to be a pouty, moody, disrespectful, engaging in risky behavior type of teenager, like we have now, because they were busy trying to make a living.

My friend Gretchen had her daughter when she was 15.
When she came home from the hospital with Ashleigh, her parents told her: she is yours, she is your responsibility, if she lives or dies, it is on you. We'll provide both of you with a roof over your heads and food, but you take care of her. If she dies, just remember that you will go to jail.
Gretchen is 45 now.
Ashleigh is 30. Ashleigh is married but has no kiddos yet.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:58 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

If we look on a broader field there are lots of serious world problems that cause horrendous life problems. The effect is forced child marriage. I can't find the article I was looking for, however, this one broaches the subject.

BBC News Report

Mon May 01, 2017 10:58 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Califer wrote:
If we look on a broader field there are lots of serious world problems that cause horrendous life problems. The effect is forced child marriage. I can't find the article I was looking for, however, this one broaches the subject.

BBC News Report

Unfortunately, girl-child marriage is a big problem in many non-industrialized nations. You never hear of boy-child marriages!

Wed May 03, 2017 2:44 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lannah wrote:
Unfortunately, girl-child marriage is a big problem in many non-industrialized nations. You never hear of boy-child marriages!

Sadly, just because we don't hear of it does not mean that it doesn't happen.

The sad hidden plight of child grooms

Sat May 06, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW