View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Church of England refuse gay marriage 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you ordained by ULC?: Yes
Post Church of England refuse gay marriage
The CoE refuse to change its position on gay marriage despite it being recognised in the USA.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Church of England refuse gay marriage
Given that the Modern CofE is a church of two halves its not very surprising but sad. Its a well known fact that the Church has a very Liberal wing and a much more traditional conservative wing. With the Liberal Wing being a much more forward thinking branch that is lead by many young priests as well as others and has for many years fought on many fronts, it was this wing that kept fighting for women Priests and Bishops, in recent years has fought on LGBT rights and recognition by the church.

The Conservative wing has a much more traditional view of the bible and how the church should apply those things in the modern day, in recent years this wing has also seen huge growth, as more people from much more hardline conservative christian countries have become part of communities hence some of these people have then felt the calling and have added to that wing or school of thought within the CofE.

Now while I of course would always put myself on the Liberal wing of the CofE (indeed I still go to my Church, as its a very lovely church and some of the most open minded people I have ever met attend it) I also know that the CofE and indeed the Anglican and Christian Faith will always likely consist of the two schools of thought mentioned.

I will freely admit in times past being so angry at that traditional wing of the Church that it gave me a bad taste for the CofE, but much more recently and indeed while I have been quiet on these forums is because I've come to realise that the CofE isnt going to Change if people like myself who feel that they could serve the church don't pursue that sense of calling.

So indeed going forward over the next months and years it is that sense of calling I will now be pursuing, the modern church does appear slow on adapting more to the modern world but that goes to the battle at the Church's heart and compromise is often what it comes to. The only way for that to change is for those who feel that sense of calling to go for it explore it. It wont be an easy journey but one that at least for me I think will be worth it. But we shall see.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:17 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

For a long time the conservative side have had its way and it is that part of the church that spread to africa. The US has gone through a lot of development. This probably was caused by the exteme conservative reaction in the US and nothing gets people to challenge thinking of the conservative thinking than being to extreme. I believe it will happen in the africa but it will take longer. I believe the church is fearful of a split but I think that is what they will get.maybe move the centre to the US.
Some of the most liberal leaders started off in the bible belt.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:04 pm
Profile E-mail

I don't think any church should be permitted to marry any one (including mosques and temples). The law should be secular. It is a contract after all. Blessings are a different matter.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good point

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Indeed Pete, there are many within the Church who do fear such a split, is one inevitable ?

Hard to say in all honesty, I think as time goes on, the more forward thinking part of the church will hopefully start to have a much bigger sway than it does but this takes time as you say.

I think the new spirituality will be a spirituality that's not based on a particular dogma. And that steps away from the old spiritual paradigm that we have created on this planet, which comes from a thought that there is such a thing as being better.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Zen Dog wrote:
I don't think any church should be permitted to marry any one (including mosques and temples). The law should be secular. It is a contract after all. Blessings are a different matter.

i disagree zen.everyone should have the right to marry whom ever they choose(within the law)and have whatever type of ceremony they choose,be it civil or "religious".i have done secular and religious ceremonies for couples,and as i told them,it's your wedding,not mine,so you get it the way you want it.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

In France, as in most American countries, marriages are secular. It is a legal contract between (currently) two people and in the case of France is performed at the Mairie (Town Hall). These are then usually followed by a religious ceremony of choice in concordance with the belief system of those involved. In this way no ones sensitivities are imposed upon and everyone is happy. Liberté Égalité Fratinité is carved above the front door of every town hall. And they take it very seriously.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile E-mail

And Mark, by extension of your argument, do you consider ecclesiastical courts to be valid. Such as Sharia? Having the right to do as you choose, within the law, is somewhat contradictory. The law by its nature is logical,hopefully, and restrictive but it is changeable. Religion, on the other hand is emotional and therefore has no place in it.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail

no zen,i do not believe in religious courts,period.the law cannot be based in religion,as i don't think any of them got it right.

as to my comments on marriage,i said within the law because of the idiots who were saying that pedophiles and bestiality practitioners were next to demand equal marriage rights.while i understand that in most of europe civil ceremonies are required,here in the us,they are an option.mine was a civil ceremony,while a same sex couple i did a ceremony for was secular.no one was put upon.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:04 pm
Profile E-mail YIM